Courted

Mia stared down at the clothes in distaste. A maid had dropped by with new clothing, as Mia was still wearing her maid uniform.

Evidently by the curious look from Asher in the hall, it wasn't proper dressing. Prince Avery hadn't officially recognized Mia as his Soulmate yet, so that meant she shouldn't have to wear a dress.

"Any chance you can get me some leggings?" Mia asked dryly. "Or tell me where some are?"

The maid grimaced. "It's not proper. Besides, I don't think there are any leggings in the palace for women."

Mia made a face. "Why the fancy dress? Why not a plain one? I'm not picky."

"Because I want to formally ask to court you," came his voice from the doorway. "But I suppose I could do it informally." With a nod to the maid, she scurried out of the room quickly and shut the door behind her.

Mia felt her blood freeze. 

Tell me I heard that wrong. Please.

"Court me?" Mia whispered, keeping her back to Prince Avery. 

"I know that isn't very common nowadays," he replied gently. "But I wish to court you the old way, as you are my Soulmate, Mia Harper."

I know that! But-

Mia bit the inside of her cheek, hard, before speaking again. He had moved a bit closer.

"And if I reject the courting?"

She knew she had just toed a line, hinting that she might reject him, but he didn't seem offended or alarmed. He just chuckled, and she felt his hand on her waist lightly, turning her to face him.

"Then I suppose I will keep trying," Prince Avery answered her, his lips twisting into a lopsided smile. "I am not one to give up easily."

Mia swallowed, her chin tilted up so she could meet his eyes. His eyes that she could finally see up close.

They were true hazel. Beginning orange at his pupil, it merged with brown at the edge. Specks of grey and blue were here and there, making his eyes seem like a kaleidoscope. 

"I can tell you are a proud woman," he said softly, his hand still resting gently on her waist. The way his thumb moved ever so slightly every few seconds had her focus nearly on that instead of his words. "And you are likely to not give your heart easily. Please just think about my offer."

Mia was distracted again by his touch, but managed to speak.

"What would you do if I rejected it, majesty?"

Prince Avery just smiled down at her, without answering her question. "No need for formalities, here."

And with those words, he pulled away, his touch lingering. Mia could finally breathe.

"Though the surprise is no more, I still have reservations for a dinner. We don't have to go, but I can see you want out."

He was right there. Mia longed to get out of the palace, just not in that way. 

Avery paused at the door. "While we are out, we could also go shopping for trousers and leggings if you so wish."

That did it. Mia needed to get some leggings for herself, even if she was leaving in a day or so. 

One dinner. It couldn't hurt anything, right?

---

Avery had dressed himself in a separate room from Mia. He decided not to wear his royal formals, as he didn't want to put that sort of spotlight on her once they left the palace. He could see she did not like attention from a crowd.

Instead, he wore a white blazer and his suit coat. With his hair freshly brushed and styled, he waited outside of her door. However, his royal ring rested on his left hand.

He dearly hoped she would come for dinner. He could hear her moving around, and hopefully she was getting prepared.

Finally, he saw the door crack open and her light eye peered through at him. She was hiding herself, and Avery fought a smile.

Shy. A hidden shy side. Somehow, it only added to his vision of her and took nothing away.

"Ready?" He asked her.

Mia bit her lip, but nodded. The bribe of shopping for leggings had convinced her well, evidently.

She stepped outside of the room and shut the door behind her. Avery was stunned at the sight of her in the dress, not caring that her left arm and shoulder was still bound tightly.

The dress was a simple design. Royal blue, it was thin and nearly like a liquid. The left shoulder was nonexistent with no sleeve, which was perfect for her injury. The other sleeve went down to her hand, tying off between her fingers. 

It hugged her nicely, not hiding any curves. They were small, but the dress did well to show them off. She had also put her hair half up and half down with a black ribbon that Avery recognized as the one from her maid's uniform.

She was simply stunning. No Lady would give her a second glance, but Avery could hardly keep his eyes off of her.

She wore not a single sparkle of jewelry, which was a rare sight for a woman in a pretty dress. Avery found that he preferred her that way. Women who wore expensive jewels tended to be a bit snobbish.

He realized he had been staring, but she had been too. Smiling, he offered his arm in the gentleman's way. "You look incredible, Mia."

He didn't miss the slight twinge of pink on the edge of her ears. "Thank you. You clean up nicely as well."

Avery laughed lightly to heighten the mood. Mia was looking at his arm, a bit perplexed.

Has she never taken the arm of a man before? Avery pondered. Did she not have a father or past lover?

To keep her from feeling embarrassed, he gently picked up her hand with his free one. Mia started a bit, but let him tuck it into the crook of his elbow. Comprehension dawned in her eyes, and she let her hand remain as they walked down the hall.

She seemed to be reluctant about coming with him, and Avery understood that she was hesitant. He wasn't pleased that she seemed to considering rejecting his courting, but was patient. 

He would wait.

Drew and Asher were passing by them, and Drew wolf-whistled. Mia's ears went pink again, and she scowled in their direction.

Avery fixed a look on him that spoke of consequences later for embarrassing his Soulmate. Drew gulped.

A few minutes later, Avery was helping Mia into the horse carriage. With her left arm still unusable, she needed the help.

As she settled down and Avery sat across from her, Mia spoke up.

"I'm surprised you let me out with this." She gestured at her shoulder.

Avery tilted his head slightly. "It's not life-threatening, and only hinders your arm. Unless you strain yourself, it isn't a problem." He was a bit confused at her words - it was like she expected him to be oppressive.

She pursed her lips and nodded, looking outside of the window. 

Avery leaned back, letting his eyes sweep over her one last time before he looked through his own window.

She was quite the puzzle. He got the sense she had no desire in a Soulmate, and he respected her to give her the choice. That didn't mean he wasn't going to do his best to win her over.