xxii. Making a deal with the devil

Start from the beginning

"Why ? He's her brother. And then she's your friend, right?" Nadia asked in confusion.

Freya tilted her head taking a deep breath before puckering her lips."I don't know why, but Valerio doesn't want her to know. He accepts my conditions. I can't ask him too much."

"Well, I can't really blame him. Barbie latin is a bitch. She would probably try to harm you if she sees you happy."

Freya immediately shook her head in the objection."She wouldn't do that."

Rebe hummed in objection letting Freya immediately look at Nadia in the hope that she would back up her words. However, the brunette just avoided her gaze by looking back at her lunch.

Freya immediately left a scoff before turning to Rebe again."Lucrecia is not as bad as you imagine."

"She told me that I shouldn't even exist." Rebe reminded, letting Freya give her a flat look.

"Right after you spilled a glass on her dress." Argued Freya before giving an insistent look at Nadia in the hope of gaining her support."Come on, Nadia. You've known her for longer than us."

The brunette immediately left a strangely bitter scoff."Trust me, Lucrecia is not what you imagine. She's much worse in reality."

"What is that supposed to mean?"

Suddenly Nadia got up from her chair to hurriedly pick up her things."Look, she's your friend and I respect that. But she's not who you think she is, Freya. You should beware."

Freya and Rebe found themselves staring at the slender back of the brunette before turning to each other, puzzled.

"What was that ?"

"No idea."

***************

"So, what do you think of a shopping spree? Do you think you would have time after your piano lesson?"

Freya leaned against the locker next to Lu with her arms crossed over her chest before giving a puzzled look at the brunette."Shouldn't you be revising for future exams?"

"Mhm, I don't think I need it." Replied the brunette with a secret smile letting Freya frown on the brunette Montesinos.

"And clearly, what does that mean?"

Lucrecia closed her locker with that same strange smile before throwing her hair on her shoulder confidently."It means I made sure I got the highest mark. That's all."

"You mean a bit like what you did earlier with Guzmàn?" Freya said somewhat wary."Why did you help Samuel?"

Lucrecia slightly lowered her smile before swallowing as she turned to Freya."Look, you know me. I always have a hidden agenda. But you're probably not going to like the answer so..."

"So I'm supposed to close my eyes, right?" Freya replied, annoyed by Lucrecia's behavior."No matter what you plan, don't take it out on my friends, Lu."

"Your friends ? And what about me?" Argued immediately Lu, signing her herself with her finger.

Freya glanced over the brunette's shoulder, clenching her jaw before giving an almost pleading look at the brunette Montesinos."Don't make me choose, Lu."

"Yet life is a matter of choice." Lu insisted as she walked over to Freya before adjusting the collar of her blazer. She looked up at her face again with that same wicked smile that Freya hated to see on her lips."I love you very much, Freya. You're my closest friend. But if you can't bear the truth, you shouldn't be asking for it. Okay, darling?"