- 21 - Contractions

Start from the beginning

"Look" she was all serious now "That might be true. But the right man will want to do it for you and the baby. To be part of the experience just like he is a part of the baby"

"Did Richard come with you?"

Sofie nodded "He did. And I'm not sure I wouldn't have made it without him"

"Well you two have an epic romance"

Sofie smiled "Everyone finds a lid to their pot. And looking at you and Taron the other night, you two belong together"

I shrugged as I could feel myself blushing "I don't think so"

"Well you can also decide then and there" she said "You might change your mind"

"Yeah I guess I'll have to wait and see"

Hopefully not wait to long.

"Should we order?" she asked.

"Sure. I feel like I'm starving" I winced slightly when I felt the cramps again.

I ordered a tea and muffin while Sofie decided on a full breakfast.

"I fed Nia this morning and I feel like I'm starving" she explained.

I laughed "How is she?"

Sofie's eyes started sparkling. I wondered if I would look the same when our baby arrived.

"She's the cutest little thing" she said "But don't let that fool you" she laughed.

"How did you handle that?" I asked "In the beginning, I mean?"

Sofie took a sip of her coffee "We had no clue to be honest. They just let us go home with her the next day and we were standing there with no idea what to do with her"

I laughed "Really?"

"Really" she stated "But it all comes really natural. Try not to stress too much. You're her mom and you'll figure it out"

I nodded. "Okay"

I winced again when I felt the pain. I tried to breathe but I felt like the cramps were getting worse.

"I'm sorry" I apologised "I have to pee really bad"

"Of course" Sofie said "That happened to me all the time"

I walked towards the toilets and once I was there I realised my panties were damp.

Wait, that couldn't...?

Could it?

I walked back to the table shaking.

Sofie knew something was up when she looked at me.

"What's wrong?" she frowned.

"I... I –" I let out a breath "I think my water just broke"

"Really?" she asked "Are you having contractions yet?"

I shook my head as I sat down again "No. I just had a few cramps but that was –"

Another cramp hit me and it only got worse. I closed my eyes and tried to relax.

Sofie looked at me knowingly when I opened my eyes again.

"That, my dear –" she said "That are contractions"

"What?" I felt the blood drain from my face.

"But – but it's too early"

"You said it's two more weeks right?" she asked.

I nodded and pressed my lips together.

"That should be fine"

"Should be?" I asked as I was starting to sweat.

She got up and got a few bills from her wallet, dropping them on the table.

"We should get you to the hospital"

Taron

I had been grocery shopping and had something special planned. Actually, I was at the jeweller and picked out a tiny baby bracelet.

"Is it possible to engrave it?" I asked as I looked at the tiny silver thing.

"Of course. What would you like to have on it?"

I had planned to put our baby's name on it.

We could add the birth date once she was there.

"That's very beautiful" the jeweller said "It will be ready until tomorrow"

"Perfect, thank you" I smiled.

I paid and left the shop.

I still couldn't believe Milly and I seemed to have the same taste in everything, also names.

I got into my car before checking my phone. I had three missed calls and a text.

<<This is Sofie texting from Milly's phone. She is in labour at the hospital. You should come asap>>

<<Oh and bring her hospital bag>>

Oh shit.

All my blood drained from my face as I put the car in gear and drove through the city as fast as I could. I had to go back home to grab the bag, before heading for the hospital.

I was relieved once I had the bag. Only I got stuck in a traffic jam on Bayswater Road.

"Oh fuck this" I yelled "Oh come on now"

I couldn't believe I would be late to the birth of my baby.

Our baby.