Prologue

1940, England...

It was another sunny school day at Cross High School, England and most students were in their classroom taking the classes slotted for this hour. Inside one of the junior classes, those who had registered for the African history class were sitting through a painful history lesson. But nothing was more painful for Tunde, a Nigerian youth who unfortunately had to sit through the torture of relieving the era of slave trade and colonialism.

He couldn't say he was particularly interested in hearing a white British man tell the story of how his fathers before him has desecrated his beloved country. He for one could not understand why his parents had chosen this path for him. What was the glory in all of these anyway? But to be very honest, he wasn't surprised about it. More and more lies were been spilled, but he wasn't concerned with correcting his teacher.

'Besides, they always know better right?' he thought to himself sarcastically.

"In our next class, we would be learning about the partitioning of Africa. Ahead of the class, I need all of us to read Walter Rodney's book 'How Europe Underdeveloped Africa,'" was the last thing Tunde had heard his African history professor say, before he bid the class a good day and was on his way out.

He spent most of his Thursday afternoons drawing in his African history notes; fantasizing, hoping and somewhat praying that these 'morons' got a little bit of what they dished out to the world. But they all seemed like wishful thinking of an over energetic young fella, just like the rest of the freedom fighters back home across Africa. Or was it? Like he always did, before the teacher was out the doors, Tunde gathered up his notes and thoughts and stormed out of the class clenching his school bag in his hands.

1960, Nigeria...

It was October 1st 1960 and Nigeria had just gotten her independence. The day had started out with the handing over from the British government to the new elected Head of State. Celebrations had begun around the country and Lagos State was to have a huge party later in the evening. Knock outs were being sold out in every nook and cranny of the state, and probably in the country. Nigerians had ordered their drinks and prepared various delicacies in preparation of the party to be thrown later in the day. The noon of October 1st 1960 was filled with proper documentation of the handover with all the political and necessary procedures to ensure that Nigeria was truly independent. There was quite a number of people gathered at the House of Senate, singing, dancing and drinking in celebration. It was indeed a joyous day for every Nigerian. It was something they dreamt about, fought for and pursued in actuality.

It was the evening of October 1st and everyone had come out of their houses with coolers filled with food and drinks. There was a party going on at every street in the state, with loud music streaming in from stereos or live bands. Everyone young and old, child and grandparent, traders and white collar workers, students and teachers; just about anyone who called this glorious country home was in high spirits. People were dancing together, fathers had their little ones on their shoulder, mothers had their infants on their backs, friends cheered to the clicking of glasses, women squirmed in sheer excitement and at the end of the night, the Nigerian National anthem was sung throughout the country for the very first time boldly and loudly.

"Nigeria we hail thee,

Our own dear native land,

Though tribe and tongue may differ,

In brotherhood we stand,

Nigerians all, are proud to serve

Our Sovereign Motherland.

Our flag shall be a symbol

That truth and justice reign,

In peace or battle honoured,

And this we count as gain,

To hand on to our children

A banner without stain.

O God of creation,

Grant this our one request,

Help us to build a nation

Where no man is oppressed,

And so with peace and plenty

Nigeria may be blessed."

October 8, 1960...

The morning had started as a normal one with the hustle and bustle of the cities. People had left for their places of work, children had gone to school, governments had resumed and everything seemed normal.

Amongst the crowd of students returning from school was Ayomide Williams. Standing taller than most her friends, her skin was a beautiful tanned brown shade, free of spots and blemish. As she walked amongst her friends, her curly black hair bounced around the frame of her neck. She usually had her hair in a tight bun, but Mama hadn't had the time to fix it for her today. Her big beautiful hazel eyes, complimented perfectly her small carved nose sitting proudly at the centre of her face and her thin lips. It was obvious to everyone from her skin to her hair, that she was different from most kids in her town. She had been given the title of 'Sisi Eko' (Lady of Lagos), by most people who knew her because of her beauty.

She had left school with the her friends as they stylishly hung one hand of their back packs and walked around the streets of Lagos with the shirts tugged out, skirts short and their shoe laces slightly undone. It was a normal routine for Mide as she was always accompanied by her best friend Fola Coker and her brother Tolu. They would buy every sweet thing their pockets could afford, chat at the top of their voices and engage in a few shenanigans before finally reaching home. Most times they would stop at one of their friend's home to play before finally heading home. Today Tolu had to stay back in school for some extra lessons because he had flawed his mathematics exams and their parents were mad at him.

She had stayed way too long at Tobi's house today, and she knew she was in big trouble with Mama and Papa. She quickly said her farewell to Fola and dashes for home. She took two deep breathes, fixed her school uniform and finally decided to face her parents. Since she wasn't sure of how mad her parents would be at her for staying out later than usual, she decided to tip toe into the house. Just as she was nearing her parent's room, she hears the broadcaster on the radio say in clear words, "Every member of the Royal Family is dead! The whole world is in shock." With the screams of her mother and her father's gentle grunt, Mide could feel her heart break for reasons she couldn't even explain.