A "Dystopian" Reality

17 years have passed since the moment when a military man raised to power in our country to become one of the worst dictators in history.

Medicines shortage, hours of endless lines to buy the little food that could be found, stamps to separate the population into groups as if we were animals, power failures, days without running water and much more. The whole while being watched by the thousands of military men posted on the every corner of the city.

No, this is not some post-apocalyptic world after some natural disaster or the 3rd world War, nor the 12th district of the hunger games...although this was more or less how it felt.

That was Venezuela in 2014 ...

That was my reality.

Don't worry, everything now feels very "dark humor" kind of funny for me.

The best example for this "funny" horrible things? Well if you think about it the historical events that would determine the drastic direction my life went and that I could've never have imagined:

The presidential elections in Venezuela in 1998 😬 (that is, when I was 4 years old and innocent and unaware that other people were going to ruin my future by voting ignorantly or delusionally for a murderer who professed socialism)

That's the one I call the fist of the "series of unfortunate events"... that haven't stopped really... 🙄

add a touch of good and bad luck there and yup... That's my life now.

To this day it all feels surreal to me. I guess that happens when you do your best at a normal life but everything around you looked very much like an alternative world taken from some trashy YA book.

Books that I love btw 😁 but that's a different story.

It felt crazy because it wasn't always like that... Actually it took around 10 years to see real damage the dictator was causing, so I basically up until I was 16, I was able to plan my life as if everything was fine like so many others.

I think I always had an idea of ​​what I wanted in my life; peace, a creative career, financial independence and maybe someone to share that life with. (yes, I'm a little boring )

Based on this, I followed the conventional steps, studying and preparing myself for those things to take place.

But it just wasn't going to happen...life said no I guess 😐.

That tuning point for me, id say started when was 18, by the end of the cultural exchange year I did right after high school.

More specifically when came back home from it.

Everything I knew had either changed or had been destroyed.

Normal things like grocery shopping or taking a shower had turned into a task, it was madness.

This is, from my point of view, what happened and how everything changed or at least compared to what I think it would have been.