Chapter Six: Crumble or Prosper, Which Will it Be

Start from the beginning

I tilted my head in confusion but did so anyway. When the light died away I looked over to see a twelve people. No, not people. The gods. I stare at them wide-eyed.

"Oh shit."

I look over at Luke. "What? Why are they here?"

He shrugs. "They only come for something important."

I looked back over at the gods. Guess they found out about the missing firecracker.

"Who stole my lightning bolt?" Zeus boomed. "Only a demigod could have stolen it!"

Chiron steps up. "Your symbol of power? When was it stolen."

"Last night. Someone snuck into Olympus and stole it. And the man at the front desk hadn't given the card to anyone."

By now, the campers were whispering and trying to figure out who stole it when someone asked if there would be a quest to look for it.

Suddenly someone shouts something about a mummy. I look over to see a walking mummy with green smoke surrounding it.

"What the fuck is that?"

Luke stares wide-eyed. "That's the Oracle of Delphi. She normally doesn't leave the attic of the Big House."

I look over at her and suddenly I'm filled with curiosity. "Oh shit." I whisper. If she knows that I stole it then she'll probably tell the gods.

When she got close enough, the pavilion went silent and she spoke, green smoke coming out of her mouth.

"There is no need to issue a quest
For the one who stole, is no pest.
The item stolen shall return at noon,
But beware the war shall be starting soon."

Everyone stares wide eyed at the Oracle as she leaves to go back to the Big House.

She came here for that? Okay...

"If the bolt was stolen, why would they give it back?" I only need it for a little something that's why.

"I don't know. But noon is in a few hours."

"She never said a specific day. It could be tomorrow." Yes, tomorrow. I was going to visit Tartarus tonight.

Zeus sighs. "I guess there is nothing we can do. But if anyone sees anything suspicious, report it immediately." They flash away and I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding.

Luke looks at me curiously. "You okay?"

I nod. "I didn't think I'd meet them after only a week."

Luke smiles. "So now that you've met them, do you think they're dicks."

I looked into his eyes. "Absolutely."

He looks at me, shocked, then grins.

"Why are you smiling? Aren't you supposed to worship the gods or something?"

Luke scoffed. "No. They don't care for us. They came down here to accuse us of stealing something and didn't even bother to see how we are doing. The gods have children but they use us for quests and to get ourselves killed. That's how I got this scar."

My eyes trailed down to look at the scar under his eye.

"Didn't know that. I thought everyone here thinks the gods are such great beings."

Luke shakes his head. "Well, not everyone thinks that. I think the gods have hurt this earth for far too long." My eyes widen slightly as I study his face. He looks angry at the gods and like he would stop at nothing for them to be out of rule. He looks at me and smiles. "But of course that won't happen."