Grian collapsed into his friends arms, sobs wracking his chest.

"Mumb- mu.. I'm so- sor- sorr.." he couldn't finish his words, collapsed against Mumbo's chest.

"Shh.. Shh." Mumbo comforted, leading his friend inside and closing the door. "I've got a kettle on, do you want tea?" He asked, soothingly rubbing Grians back.

Grian nodded wordlessly, and Mumbo lead both of them towards his kitchen.

Mumbo poured two cups of tea, he already knew Grians favorite tea so he didn't have to ask.

After Grian had calmed down a bit, Mumbo asked him what had happened.

Grian was sat on the kitchen counter, holding his mug in both hands to avoid it shaking.

"M-my dad.." Grian responded, shuddering. Mumbo furrowed his brows, chewing the inside of his cheek.

"Can I- I please sta-stay here tonight..?" Grian asked sheepishly, taking a shaky sip of his tea.

"Of course." Mumbo said firmly, "I always have the couch, and you know how I feel about you living with your father."

"Thank you," Grian said in a bare whisper, tears brimming in his eyes.

"Always.."
———

Grian tossed and turned on the couch, mumbling, brows stitched into a worried expression.

"N.. no.. st- sto.." he took in a gasp of air and shot up.

Another bloody nightmare.

What did he usually do to calm down from nightmares? Call Mumbo.

Fuck.

He already bothered Mumbo enough for one day- so he tried to go back to sleep, but every time he closed his eyes, he just saw the drunk ones of his father.

Grian stood up wearily, armed with a pillow and nightmare, stress, and anxiety fueled adrenaline he walked to Mumbos room.

He opened the door to find Mumbo awake and on his phone, surprised to see Grian walk through the door.

"I- I keep.. having.. ni-nightmares.. and I'm sorry- I know I shouldn't.. bother you.. but.." he bit his lip anxiously.

"Aw, no.. Grian.." Mumbo got up and walked towards his friend. "Do you want to sleep with me?" (Bad phrasing but you know what I mean.)

Grian nodded anxiously, looking down at his feet. Mumbo smiled a bit and waved him over.

They both got comfortable, Grian nuzzled up against Mumbos chest. Grian didn't have any nightmares after that.
———

When Grian woke up, Mumbo was already gone, and he could hear the radio from the kitchen. He stood up and walked towards the kitchen, yawning and rubbing his eyes.

When he entered the kitchen, he saw Mumbo making breakfast.

"Hey Mumbs," he said drearily. "Thanks for letting me stay over."

"Yeah! No problem.. you can stay for as long as you need," he assured, sliding the scrambled eggs he was making off the pan and onto the plate. "I was going to give you breakfast in bed but here you are.. so."

Mumbo smiled grinding a bit of pepper and pinching a bit of salt onto the eggs before setting them on the table.

"Oh.. you didn't have to do that.. thank you." Grian said, cracking a small smile.

This wasn't the first time he had to stay over at Mumbos, and he used to feel guilty about making Mumbo cooks. However he soon figured out that feeling guilty and having a full stomach was better than feeling nothing on an empty stomach.

He ate his food quickly, showered up, and opened up his laptop. He did most of his work digitally. He worked as a freelance photographer, but he didn't currently have any commissions- so in times like that he edited videos for whoever in his contacts needed it. He did that for a while, only breaking when he saw Mumbo leave.

When Mumbo left to go to the store, Grian dropped a small note onto his desk and went back to work.

When Mumbo got backs and sat down at his desk to record a video, he noticed the note. Curious, he opened it.

If you're reading this, it's because I'm too much of a chicken to say it to your face! Plus I hear you like poetry.. so:

You've always been there
When life wasn't.
You have my back
When my spine doesn't.
You cared for me
When I didn't.
You've been a friend
When everyone else wasn't.
When I think of you,
I think of these things.
I think of a friend.
And then I think a little harder,
And realize,
That maybe you're something more.
<3 Grian.

Mumbo re-read the note a couple of times before standing up to find Grian.

"Did you write this?" He asked, waving the note in the air.

Grian nodded, blushing a bit.

Mumbo smiled softly and walked over, handing it back to Grian and walking away without a word.

Grian opened it.

Your smile is brighter than the sun.
Your eyes are like starlight,
Glimmering and full of life.
I look on in awe.
Wondering what it would be like,
To live amongst the stars.
Wondering what it would be like,
If you loved me too.
<3 Mumbo.

———

Idk I'm tired and wanted to write fluff.

<3 stay safe out there.

-yours, lonelyforever21