Chapter 8

(Y/n) P.O.V.

I go with Ashley to see them out. The guy had given Chris a shot gun. "Hey, come back safe." Ash says, then kisses him. My jaw drops. They smile as they break. I punch his shoulder lightly. "First, nice! Second, you better come back, or so help me, I'll resurrect you to kill you again." He nods. "We need to hurry son." "I'll see you soon." Chris says to us. Ashley closes the door behind them. "If he gets hurt, I'm gonna kill him." I mumble. She smiles softly at me. "I believe in them." She says optimistically. We wait a few minutes at the door for them, when Chris runs up to the door. "Oh thank God! Please, let me in, quick!" He shouts. I hurriedly open the door. "Oh my God!" He gasps, grabbing me in a hug. "Chris! Oh my God, what happened?!" Ashley asks. "We gotta go, that thing was like right behind me." He says. The Wendigo reaches the door and jumps towards it. We all scream, and back away. "Go! Go go go go!" Chris shouts. "Oh god!" Ashley screams. We sprint from the door to meet the others in the basement.

Emily lets us in. "Oh my God! Guys! Thank God!" She huffs. "What took you so long?" Sam asks. "It's not so good up there right now-" "Understatement of the night." I grab onto Mike, who holds me close. "Chris, where's the flamethrower guy?" Sam asks. "Ah yeah, he uh..." "He didn't make it!?" "Oh no!" "What happened?" "The thing, it... it tore him apart! Right in front of me!" Chris says, sounding, understandably, traumatized. "Oh God..." Sam whispers. "Alright. These all the doors?" Mike asks. "Yeah." "Are you sure?" "What are you looking for?" "Another way out." Mike says. "Mike... I really don't think that's a good idea. We should stay put, right here, until dawn." I suggest. "Oh? Yeah? All wrapped like a little present with a bow on top for that thing to tear us apart on Christmas morning?" Mike says. "We can find a backup, but we should wait here." I say irritably. "People will come for us. In the morning." Sam says calmly. "You don't sound so sure." Mike says.

"That's what'll happen, right Em?" "Yeah, I mean... right?" "Well, you can wait, I'm getting us out of here!" "Mike, there's no key for the cable car." "Josh. He's gotta have it." Mike says. "Dammit Mike, you're gonna get yourself killed!" I shout. He grabs my hand. "No I won't. I promise. Because I promised to protect you." He reassures. "If that fucking thing got a hold of Josh, then... we're shit outta luck." I say. "It may have taken him down to the mine." Emily suggests. "What?" "I saw some horrible stuff down there... I think it's where that thing lives and..." Emily says. "Fuck it. I'm gonna get that key. Right from thing's goddamned bedroom, and then I'm gonna get us all the hell out of here." Before I can protest, Sam speaks. "Em, what is all that?" "It's that old guy's bag." She replies.

"Is that a map?" "The guy was prepared for anything." Sam notices. "Not quite." Mike says grimly. "What is this place?" "Wait wait wait. What is that?" Sam point at a place on the map. "I was down there. It was horrible." Emily cries. "You were?" Sam asks. "Some of them survived, but like... fifteen of 'em didn't make it. There was this reporter and I think he figured out there had been some, like, big cover-up going on. I found these plans - they knew the mines was a death trap, but they let the miners keep working anyway. And... I'm not sure what it means, but... I found this chair, with dried blood all over the place... like somebody'd been tortured." Mike recounts. "Michael, I'd like to maybe focus on how we're going to get the fuck out of here please?" Emily snaps. "Shut up, Emily. Your attitude doesn't help anyone." She glares at me, but doesn't say anything. "I'm just saying it's weird how much crazy shit's gone up here." Mike adds.

"What's weird is there's a tunnel leading from the lodge to the Sanatorium, see?" Emily points on the map. "That's how I got back here." Mike says. "I saw this when I was down there. That's where it lives." Emily decides. "Em, what is that?" Ashley asks. "...huh?" "What is that?" "Ash..." "Em... oh my God oh my God oh my God! Oh no, oh no, oh no!" "It's nothing, it bit me and-" "It bit you? What bit you?" We all start backing away from Emily. "The ah... the Wendigo. It's nothing, really, it's not a big a deal. It doesn't hurt anymore. Really. It's not that bad." She insists. I try to keep my anxiety under control, breathing in and out. "Em... If that thing bit you..." Mike starts. "I know what you're thinking, and I'm fine..." "Are you?" "Yes!" "Emily, at least let us check it out." Sam decides, being rational.

"Emily, if the Wendigo bit you... You could turn into one of those things." Mike worries. "Oh that's ridiculous!" Sam snaps. "He said it was from eating each other, remember he said that!" Ashley says, freaking out. "Wait is that how it worked?" Sam asks. "Yes! It happens if it bit you, you're gonna turn into one and then you're gonna turn on us oh my God oh my God oh my God!" Ashley panics. "No, no, calm down guys. He said if you eat a human. Cannibalism. He said nothing about a bite. Let's not jump to conclusions." I shout. Emily looks at me as if seeing me in a new light, she seems...grateful. "You can't be down here with us." Mike says. "What?!" Emily shrieks. "Mike! Stop!" I shout. He glances at me. "You gotta go." He says quietly. "Are you kidding me?!" "You're putting us all in danger!" "Like hell I am!" "Emily... you can't stay here!" Tears start falling from my eyes as I freak out.

"Mike, just cool your head okay? We don't know if it works like that. Maybe it's just a bite." Sam suggests. "I've seen what these fuckers can do. I don't want to see it again." Chris speaks up from his spot in the corner. I put a hand on his shoulder. "What is this. Guys? What are you doing?" "Door's right here. I am letting you do this voluntarily." "Oh no you're just making yourself feel better about sending me to my death since you know there's a Wendigo out there rip me to pieces like it did with-" "Oh my God will you just go! Go, get out of here!" Ashley interrupts. Mike grabs a gun from a table and points it at Emily. "Mike, no!" Emily backs up, climbing onto a table. "You're going to shoot me? Mike... me?" She exclaims. "This is the safe room, Em!" His voice cracks like he's going to cry. I know he doesn't want to do this. "It's not safe as long as you're in it... Not for us!"

"No... Don-Don't do this!" She pleads. I place a shaky hand over my mouth. "Mike, please, don't..." I whisper. His hand shakes, but then he points it away. "Fuck... I can't do this." He sighs. "Oh my God." Emily breathes. "You did the right thing." Sam says. "I hope you did." Ashley mutters, walking to Chris. "Maybe... for now. Shit... fuck... fuck!" Mike runs his hands over his head. "Keep an eye on her. If you see anything weird... you guys know what to do." Mike instructs. "No one leave. Okay? It's not safe out there. I'll be back soon." "Mike, Wait! I'm coming with you." I announce. "No, you are staying here." "You shouldn't go alone." "I can't risk you in danger." "Well neither can I. Either we both go, or no one goes." "(Y/n)-" Chris speaks up from behind. "No, Chris! I'm not letting Mike go alone." I say, not turning to look at him. Mike sighs. "Stay close, okay?" I nod. "Okay, promise." Together we leave the safety of the basement to hopefully something better.