Prologue

I'm running, running for my life. I have to get back to the cave where I've made my camp. It is too dangerous to be out here in the open.

I leap over a ditch, barely hesitating before moving on. My weapons feel heavy against my exhausted body. 

Stealing a glance at the sky, I see that the clouds are growing thicker, the rain is coming. That awful acidic rain that has killed so many in this desolate, rocky environment. Burning any living thing it touches. I've seen the carnage, what used to be tributes turn into unrecognizable corpses.

Luckily, I have the cave.  The cave is my shelter, my salvation from the rain. If I can only reach the cave I will be safe.

Running harder, I travel through the few trees in the arena. We were all surprised at first when we discovered how barren the arena is, but it seems so obvious now. Stone doesn't burn when it comes in contact with acid, after all.

I am almost there.

Suddenly the boy from District 2 is here, looming over me. His throat is still bloody from when I killed him. "Get away from me!"

It was no use, he and the other Careers were on top of me in the blink of an eye. Clawing at my skin, whispering promises of revenge.  They won't let me go.

I can feel my weapons, but some unseen force leaves me unable to grab them. I struggle, letting out a bloodcurdling scream. It was no use, they wouldn't stop. Not until they've killed me for what I've done.

I wake with a start, breathing heavy, and covered in sweat. I feel familiar arms encompass me, holding my trembling body close. It feels like they might fight off all that wished to harm me, if only if for a night.

I'm thankful as we sit in silence waiting for the sun to finally rise, glad to have someone to help me fight my way back to reality. The Games have always been, and always will be part of my life.