Chapter 8

I look at the closed door and it takes a while to process what he said. I faintly try to smile a little. But I can't. this is just too much. I close the suitcase shut and take my wallet and phone. I leave a quick glance at my room. I'm gonna miss it. I close the door shut behind me and pull my sweatshirt down. I throw on a beanie and look around for any sign of my parents. I hear loud sobs from the room across the living space and faintly hear my brother talking on the phone. Must be his ultra mega best friend who I occasionally find very creepy. I never had good vibes from that guy. I seize the chance and slip out the front door. I feel my heart getting heavy with each step I take but I don't want to let emotions get the best of me. I walk quietly through the main road to the bus terminal. I board the first bus which is ready to depart. I sit on one of the window seats. I look through the sparse bus terminal through the fogged up window. Only lights are visible through the blurred windows. It reminds me of the first date I had with Naksh. I hear the bus starting and look outside through the windows. The chillness runs to my bone. I shiver a little bit. I wonder what Naksh is doing now. I pick up my phone after paying for the ticket. 23 missed calls. 120 unread messages. I stare at his contact for a while. Will I really be able to handle all this in a day? If it was another day I would have bailed and not called him. But, now I want the pain to end. If I have to take all the pain in, be it in a single day. I press the call button and wait for the caller ring to stop.

"Eth?", I hear his voice. It sounds coarse. Was it hard for him as well? I hear the faint voice of his mom talking over the phone to someone.

"Hey...".

"Eth, I am so sorry. I- I don't even know what to say. Why didn't you take any calls? Are you even alright?".

"Naksh".

"Yes, Eth".

"Could you spare me some time? We need to talk".

"Okay... We can talk now. Anything for you", The last phrase tears me up a little bit. I gulp down the lump in my throat and clear my throat.

"Naksh, I want to you to tell me what you think we are".

"Eth, what? why are you-".

"No. Naksh. This is the right time. Just tell me. I don't want to hang on to false hope anymore".

"Ettan, you are the best thing that happened to me. Please don't do this. You know I can't-".

"No, I need to know. I understand that this is hard for both of us. But, this is hard for me Naksh, very hard for me".

"Ettan...".

"Just tell me what you feel about this. Just tell me where we are heading to".

"I don't know Eth. I honestly don't", At this I hear him break down. Don't Naksh. Please don't. I am already in the verge of this. I am not going to break down today.

"If it is that hard for you, then let me tell you what I want Naksh. I want to be with you. I want to live my life beside you. I don't give a damn about what people think. This is me, Naksh. This is us. All I know is that I am ready to break down all barriers and fight for us. I.. I want you to stay with me, for us. I will be with you, when you face your family. Heck, I'd do anything for you Naksh. I learn it from you. To be strong and to face the world with confidence. I never thought I would have the courage to do what I did these past two days if it was not for you. I am even pouring my emotions to you. You know why? Because I freaking love you", I break down at the last words. I compose myself soon as I hear soft sobs on the other line.

"Ettan, you don't deserve me", Seriously Naksh. Are we doing this now?

"I.. just.. My mind is in a mess right now Ettan. Mom has been pushing these proposals to me. She is very serious about it. I can't let her down like this. She is very important to me. She will never understand these things Ettan", Wow. He sounds like my parents now.