fifteen

The past few days had been incredibly bland compared to our track record, all we did was move from place to place, gaining a hell of a distance from where we started. I continuously checked the radio, hoping to hear from my dad again but it had yet to happen. We drove all last night, taking turns sleeping while the other drove and Mason and I got over the awkward stage.

I was extremely exhausted and ready to settle down but it was getting harder to find safe places. We hadn't run into another large group of biters, which is good, but we're afraid to stop because of the possibility.

"You okay?" Mason pulled me away from my thoughts and I nodded quickly, coming back.

"Yeah," I shortly replied and looked out of the window. "Do you think we'll stop soon?"

Mason took a moment and I glanced over, seeing his thinking face. "I hope so, I'm tired of driving and sleeping in the truck."

I nodded at this, completely agreeing with him. I can only take sleeping in the truck for so many nights, we have hit my limit. I don't mean to complain, it's just so stuffy with the windows up for safety, if we could roll them down it'd be better.

"On the bright side, we haven't been forced to stop which is nice," Mason added.

"There you go, always finding the positive." I smiled at him and heard the walkie talkie clicking.

I found it on the floorboard and quickly switched it on, awaiting a message. Mason and I both stared at it in my hands, expecting to hear Olivia.

"I'm tired of this damn car, if you see something stop."

I laughed at Olivias complaining and lifted the walkie to my lips. "I'll keep a look out."

"She's always cheerful huh?" Mason bit back a smile and I shrugged.

Olivia was complicated, a lot of the time she was acting hard and tough, the other half a complete asshole with a hint of goofiness. I loved her, she was our friend, the one who always had your back and isn't afraid to call you on your bullshit. She always speaks her mind and isn't afraid to express what she thinks, which can be intimidating but deep down she's such a teddy bear.

"That's Olivia, our sunshine," I sarcastically commented and he chuckled.

I watched him as he leaned back, trying to escape the sun. My lips slowly turned up into a smile as he squinted his eyes, struggling to see. It was actually adorable and I reached over, pulling the visor down.

"I totally was about to do that," Mason tried to play it off and I rolled my eyes.

"Sure."

We were quiet and I watched the rolling landscape pass us by, it was actually peaceful out here. We're about halfway into Mississippi and it's mainly trees, which is cool but some have fallen and blocked our roads.

"Are there any CD's?" Mason broke the silence again and I shrugged.

I began to rummage in the glovebox and Mason looked around in his door. I looked up after a moment and saw a biter right in front of us.

"Mason!" I yelled and he looked up quickly, but he didn't have time to swerve. The truck pummeled through the biter, the body rolling up onto the windshield then over the top of the truck. I frowned, the windshield had bent in and was insanely cracked. I sighed looking back in the bed of the truck to see the biter was still alive.

How in the hell?

"Pull over," I lowly spoke and he complied. Once he parked I hopped out and ran around to the tailgate, stepping up onto it. The biter growled at me and I grimaced, sticking my knife in right above its ear.