twenty one.

21

SOMETHING BETWEEN US

⋆﹥━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━﹤⋆

"Rosie!" a voice shattered through her mind, awaking Rosa from her nightmare of a slumber. Her red eyes shot open and instantly landed on Newt's smiling face, "Finally, I thought we lost you for a moment."

She let out a gasp, pulling her hand from Newt's, which she was too blind and intoxicated to notice, and rubbed her head. "Where's Thomas?" she croaked out.

"I'm right here," he replied, walking over to her side where he pushed a strand of her hair behind her ear. Everyone turned around as a grunt sounded from the room, a pained shout followed.

"I suggest you talk, you son of a bitch!"

Rosa's eyes widened as she saw Jorge circle around the blonde man who had forced them to drink the green liquid, his arms and body tied down to an oak chair.

"Well shit," she whispered, pushing herself up of the floor and joining Thomas by his side, noticing the look she received from both Teresa and Newt, jealousy. It was pure jealousy. She shrugged it off and paid attention to Jorge.

"I'm sorry, you are going to have to leave my house," he replied to the smack he just received from Jorge, his left eye now bruised and almost bloody.

"Looks like you lot have been having fun," Newt remarked as Thomas neared him again, Rosa shook her head playfully as she thought back to the party, more importantly, Thomas' lips on hers. Her cheeks visibly become even redder.

"Where is the Right Arm, Marcus?" Jorge asked, his voice now stern and controlling as he looked down to Marcus, which made Rosa and Thomas confused. 

"Wait this is Marcus?" Rosa asked, beating Thomas to it "He told us that Marcus was dead, burned to be exact."

"The kid catches on quick," Marcus began to laugh, "Are you the brains of the operation?"

Rosa felt her face drop and her legs begin to move, wanting to go and slap the smirk off his face. Thankfully, Thomas and Newt both held her back from doing something that she could regret later.

She shrugged them off and sat on the end of the couch, next to Aris who sent her a welcoming, warm smile which she briefly returned before her eyes landed back on Jorge and Marcus. The light now shining over his face, his inflated eye and busted lip indicated that this had been going on for some time.

Jorge grabbed some of Marcus' hair and pulled his head back threateningly which caused him to let out a pained yelp, "I know you know where they are hiding," he stated, glaring at Marcus to still refused to say anything, "So you tell me and I'll make you a deal."

Jorge let go of his hair and stepped back, showing that he had no intention to harm if he told them what they wanted to know. Rosa shifted in her seat and intently watched it all unfold, still able to feel the paper in her back pocket which she hoped would tell her more. 

"I made my own deal," Marcus grunted, "You're the one who taught me, never miss an opportunity."

"What's he talking about?" Newt asked, leaning on the couch that Rosa sat on.

"I'm talking about supply and demand. WICKED wants all the immunes they can get. I help provide that for them. So I lure the kids in... they get drunk, have a good time. And then, later, WICKED comes in... they separate the wheat from the chaff."

Rosa had no idea what she was feeling. Loss? Guilt? Empathy? Lost? Disappointed? Most likely, it was a mixture of them all. Her heart sunk like a ship, slowly falling in her chest as she ached for all of the children that Marcus had put at risk, all for the sake of her mother. Then it hit her, she was angry. Angry at Marcus for risking lives. Angry at her mother for harming them in the first place. But also angry at herself, she had no idea why. But she had to have a part in this all somehow. A pawn in the game. A piece in the puzzle. A cause for the destruction. It was her fault and she was going to do anything to redeem herself.