eighteen.

18

OR SO THEY THOUGHT

⋆﹥━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━﹤⋆

One more flight of stairs later, and they finally stopped in what seemed to be an attic. It was nothing but a small loft filled with various items and objects with an even broader variety of uses. Rosa's mind filled with inventions and creations that she could make out of the things in the room.

"Jorge, they are here," the girl grinned, soon getting shushed by the man as he tuned the radio in front of him, yet he still received nothing but static. Rosa had to keep her mouth shut, otherwise, she would go on a rant about Cosmic Microwave Background Radiation.

Jorge turned, his hands on his hips, "Do you ever get the feeling that the whole world is against you?" he asked, Rosa scoffed loudly and earning a glare from almost everyone in the room, "Three questions. Where did you come from? Where are you going? How can I profit?"

The Gladers were hesitant to answer, so none of them did. "Don't all answer at once," he sarcastically joked, pouring himself a glass of alcohol.

Thomas stepped forward, just like Rosa had anticipated, "We're headed for the mountains. Looking for the Right Arm-" men around them laughed, Rosa turned to glare at them.

"You're looking for ghosts, you mean," Jorge replied softly, sipping on his glass before pointing at them, "Question number two. Where did you come from?"

"That's our business," Rosa spoke up loudly, stepping out from behind Thomas. Jorge shrugged his shoulders, the men in the room automatically grabbing all of the Gladers. Rosa could feel one roughly grip her wounded arm and she let out a yelp of pain, yet he didn't loosen his grip at all. She kicked him in the shin as she wriggled around, trying to squirm out of his hold. Thomas shouting at them to be careful with her.

Rosa was pushed down so that her hair was moved to the side, the girl that had led them to Jorge had approached her and scanned the back of her neck with a machine that whirred and beeped. Rosa shouted expletives at her, "Oh shut up you big baby," she remarked.

"Oh, I'll show you big baby, you mother shucker-" she shouted, kicking the man that held her one last time before she went to punch the girl across the face, only for the man to grab her wounded arm and make her yell out. Thomas was let go by his capture and ran to Rosa, where he pushed the man away and took her arm carefully to see if she was okay.

"You were right," the girl remarked as she showed Jorge the device, he placed his glasses on his nose and took it from her.

"Right about what? What is she talking about?" Thomas asked, his arm still around Rosa.

Jorge chuffed, "I'm sorry, hermano. Your girl here is tagged. You came from WICKED. Which means you're very valuable."

"Good plan, Thomas," Minho scoffed before he began to imitate Thomas, "' Just hear what the man has to say.' Really working out for us."

Rosa, like the rest of her friends, currently hung from their ankles above a large drop. She could feel the blood heating up her cheeks and her head felt like it could explode due to all of the pressure. She refrained from making a comment about the recent events and instead worked towards thinking of a way out.

"Oh, shut up Minho," Thomas groaned, "Maybe I can reach the rope."

Jorge came into Rosa's vision, she turned her head to see him properly, "Enjoying the view?"