"Yeah! Ten points, Nellie! That's better than I did!" I give her a high five and she walks to the back of the line holding her head a little higher than before.

     When I look up from the clipboard Zoe is smiling at me. "What?" I ask as Alfie takes a bean bag from the bucket.

     "You're really good with them."

     I feel my cheeks heat up. "Thanks." I smile slightly.

     Alfie launches his bean bag, just missing Zack's head. "OK! New rule, anyone who hits me is disqualified!" Zack calls in a jokey way, I smirk across the hoops at him. The littles laugh, un-phased by Zack's ruling.

     The Group Competition takes us almost up to dinner time and the littles are getting restless. The smell of pizza cooking drifts over as we settle them in front of Jen. It doesn't help that we can see the families going in and out of the Great Mess Hall; knowing that they've have some delicious pizza.

     I circle the names of the boy and the girl who scored the most and hand the clipboard to Jen. I hate watching the littles with hopeful eyes, knowing who is right to feel that way and who is going to be crushed.

     Zoe finishes settling the littles and comes to stand beside me, she nudges my shoulder gently. "I haven't forgotten about this morning. Let's ditch the guys tonight and get milkshakes at Old Jack's." I nod because I can't really say no.

     "I have the results of our first Group Competition in my hands. When I call your name, make your way up here to receive your medal." Jen waves a hand towards two of the older counsellors who are holding up plastic gold medals. "Let's start with the littles and then you can go and freshen up for dinner." Jen nods her head towards us sensing how tired and bored the littles now are. "The highest scoring 6-8s were Noah and Annie!" 

     Noah and Annie run to the front and beam with pride as the counsellors place medals around their necks. Everyone claps and cheers, but it's not as enthusiastic as this morning. There are a few littles with tears in their eyes, but mostly I think they're just too hot and tired to care right now. 

     It's been a long afternoon in the sun, and I'm not surprised when some of the girls crawl into their beds. We have about half an hour until dinner, and if they're going to be staying up for the s'mores and campfire, then a power nap isn't a bad idea. I'm almost tempted to lie down on one of the free beds.

*

     Once the littles have eaten and are somehow full of energy again, we head to the beach. The older kids and counsellors have set up a huge circle with logs and blankets around the brightly burning campfire. There is a circle of logs about a metre from the fire as a boundary, but the littles should still be able to reach it for their s'mores.

   There is something so homely about campfires. The pops and whizzes it makes are like music to my ears, and the dancing amber flames are so beautiful to watch. When I was little, we'd have a campfire and s'mores in the back garden on special occasions. I don't remember when they stopped, but right now, all those memories flash in my head like a kaleidoscope of happiness.

     The campfire also brings back memories from our camping trips, but I try not to loom on them for too long, otherwise, I'll start thinking about Mum and the anniversary.

     The littles are excitable and struggle to sit still as Jen goes over the rules for the fire and s'mores. I feel myself looking out to the lake. The sun is starting to set and the water reflects the pink in the sky. I feel sorry for the kids at Jefferson Lakes, they've probably never seen a campfire before in their life.

     Jen and Connor, one of the older counsellors, sit across the fire from us, strumming on their guitars as we help the littles to make their s'mores. Kelsey licks her fingers on one side of me, while Nellie gnaws on her s'more as delicately as possible on my other side.

     "Good, huh?" I ask Nellie as I finish my own s'more.

     "The best. I've never had one before." Nellie smiles contently, chocolate spread across her face.

     "Have you ever camped?" I ask carefully, knowing that if I ask too many questions, or the wrong ones, she might shut down.

     Nellie shakes her head. "Daddy wanted to camp, but Mummy doesn't like it. I've never been away from Mummy before."

     "Me either." I smile at her. Nellie looks at me quizzically, like she's trying to decide if I'm telling the truth or not.

     "What about your daddy?" My heart feels like it's been stabbed and my breath catches in my throat. But how's Nellie to know? It's an innocent enough question.

     "Oh. My dad's not with us anymore," I say quietly. It's not common knowledge here and I'd prefer it to stay that way.

     "Mine neither."

     I don't press anymore because I know this is progress for her and I don't want Nellie to start clamming up again. I want her to feel like she can talk to me when she wants to.

     The campfire songs start once everyone has finished their s'more and is seemingly content. Some of the littles start to dance and soon everyone is on their feet, singing and dancing.

     Through the fire, I see Robbie dancing with one of the kids in his group, Crash is playing the air guitar, Josh is teaching some of the kids the Macarena and Zoe is making up a fist bump with Kelsey. As I watch the others around the fire, my heart fills with joy and a content feeling settles somewhere inside me. I can't remember a time when I felt so connected to so many people all at once.

     Nellie tugs at my shirt and holds her hands out for me. We dance together for the rest of the night  and I don't think I've ever seen her smile so brightly.