God, how does he make something so basic look good? Ohmigod, I did not just think that!

     Ryan hands me a towel and I wrap it around myself, suddenly very aware of how much skin is on show.

     "Yeah, you were. Eleanor, right?" Well damn. "Do you want me to have a look at your head?" He asks softly.

     "No, I'm OK," I reply. No, I really I don't want you to have a look at my head. I want to go back in time and tell myself that this morning is not the morning for a swim.

     Ryan shrugs and picks up the oars. "Well at least let me find you some ice back at the retreat." I smile because there is nothing I can say without giving myself away. "Sure you're OK? You seem quite pale, and you're not as chatty as the other night."

     I feel like shouting 'no! I am obviously not OK, I just hit my head on a boat!' but I restrain myself. I don't really know what to do. Should I be nice to him? Should I give him the cold shoulder? He hasn't really done anything, I swam into the boat. And he's actually being quite nice; he hasn't talked about himself once yet.

     "Sorry. I'm just tired. I thought a swim would help wake me up." I offer him a small smile.

     "It's breathtaking out here, isn't it?" Ryan rows the boat at the slowest pace possible as he looks out across the lake. The sun hits his brown eyes at just the right angle to make them twinkle.

     I look away quickly, feeling my cheeks burn. This is Ryan Jefferson. I can't think things like that.

     "I love the mornings out here. Sometimes I sleep in the staff quarters just so I can get up early and have a swim, or come out on the boat," Ryan continues, his voice soft. He's not talking to me specifically, he's just talking.    I smile, and then I stop myself when I realise what I'm doing.    "So, I lost you the other night," he says quietly, still looking out to the lake, but I can see the corner of his eyes flicker in my direction.

     "Yeah, I kind of got swept up in it all. There was food on my dress so I went to clean it." I shrug, continuing to avoid making eye contact.

     "I didn't see you at the make up dinner last night," he adds. There's something in his voice that I can't put my finger on.

     "Oh. Yeah, we had a reservation in town somewhere," I mumble quickly.

     The boat bumps against the shore on the wrong side of the lake and I stand quickly. Too quickly.

     "Whoa, steady." Ryan catches my arm and keeps me from falling back into the lake. "Let's get you some ice," he says softly as he helps me off the swaying boat.

     "I'm fine, really, thank you." It comes out as a whisper, my cheeks heating up again.

     "Well, let me take you to your room then. I want to make sure you get back safely."

     "No," I say quickly, feeling my heart hammer against my chest. I shake his arm off hastily. God, who would have thought that a prank would get me into this kind of trouble? The guys are going to have a field day when I get back. "I mean, everyone's out." Ryan looks at me dubiously but doesn't say anything if he doesn't believe me.

     I start to panic as we enter the retreat through a Staff Only door. What if he finds the truth out now?

     "Can I use a phone?" Ryan nods, leading the way to the reception.   I check the clock above the desk and gulp. I have thirteen minutes until I need to be at the girl's cabin with Zoe. I pick the phone up shakily, aware that Ryan is only a few steps behind me.

     Jen's red Ford KA pulls up in the car park seven minutes later and I sigh a breath of relief. This nerve-racking ordeal is over.

     "That's my aunt," I say instead of goodbye. I move towards the doors as quickly as my jelly legs will let me.

     "So, I was wondering if you wanted to maybe hang out tonight?" Ryan shoves his hands into his swim short pockets and offers me a nervous smile. He looks almost bashful.

     I don't know what I've said or done to give him the impression that I want to hang out. I mean, I've been cold and short. Unless. . . Oh crap, does he think I've been playing hard to get? Acting like I couldn't care less because I'm actually infatuated with him. Oh God, I might be sick.

     "I, er, can't. We're leaving today," I say quickly before walking out of the door. I can't watch his face, I can't see how he feels about my lie.    "Don't ask," I tell Jen as I climb into the car.

     We drive back to the camp in silence. Every now and again I see Jen peek at me, but I'm not going to tell her. It may just be the most embarrassing thing that has ever happened to me.

     I think I'm just going to avoid the lake for the rest of Summer. Great.