24 | FORCED CONVALESCENCE

Start from the beginning

"He's just so cute, you know?" I say, sipping the scotch in one hand and swirling my gun in the other hand. "Oh man, that hair. That face. Ugh."

Dean almost smiles at me. I think I'm amusing him.

"I wonder why he doesn't come after me," I say, looking up at the ceiling. "I can kill stuff, and I'm not that ugly." I raise my eyebrows as I say this.

Dean looks at me in confusion. "What do you mean?" He asks.

I roll my eyes and groan. "Do I have to spell it out for you? I want to have sex with him, duh."

"Oh," Dean says. "You haven't done that yet? You've been together for months."

I yawn and put my hands behind my head, avoiding the topic. "I'm sleepy."

He looks like he's about to say something, but a loud knocking on the bunker's door interrupts him. I stay where I am and let Dean get up and go answer it. I'm surprised at who he walks back down the stairs with.

"Hey, what's this guy doing here?" I ask. Dean holds up a bottle. Probably has more alcohol in it.

"Nice place," Ketch says after he takes a seat. Him and Dean are drinking the stuff he brought, but Dean decided that I had enough. I didn't argue with him. "Quaint. Cozy."

I glare at Ketch.

"Not much for small talk, are we?" Ketch asks.

"Nope," Dean and I say simultaneously.

"Surely you have some questions," Ketch says. "Why I'm here, for instance."

"You're here to recruit us," Dean says. "You already got Mary playing your game. "You want me. And Sam. And her."

"Well, I don't," Ketch says, gesturing to himself. "But the old lads have taken quite a shine to you."

"Hmm. Well, maybe they shouldn't have sent some chick to try and kill us."

"Yes, Toni," Ketch says. "No one predicted she would go rogue. No one but me." Dean looks at him curiously. "I had a sneak peak at what a neurotic, overreacting time bomb she was. We used to date."

"Huh," Dean says. "Yeah I can see that."

Ketch chuckles. "Dean, I don't give a toss is you sign up. Honestly I don't care if you live or die. But since we're such jolly good pals now—"

"Jolly good, huh?" Dean says.

I take my gun and start swirling it again. Ketch gives me a look- almost worried- before looking back to Dean.

"Let me just say that the Men of Letters is an excellent fit for someone with our inclinations," Ketch says.

"Our? As in you and me?" Dean asks, disbelieving.

"You're a killer, Dean Winchester. And so am I. And if we go too long without something to track, or trap, or punch, or gut? Well, things get a bit ugly, don't they?"

Dean doesn't say anything so Ketch keeps talking. "The Men of Letters keep me busy. They point me in a direction, and bang, off to the races. It's not a bad life. Speaking of..." he stands up and swallows the rest of scotch in his glass.

"Now that you've heard what I have to say... places to be, vampires to behead," Ketch says.

"You got a line on vamps?" Dean asks.

"I do," Ketch says. "Interested?"

The only way Dean lets me go with him is if I drink some coffee first. He says he doesn't want me to go in the state I'm in. He says if I sober up a little by the time we get there, I can help, otherwise, I'll have to wait in the car.