Chapter 1: New Life, New Monsters

Start from the beginning

I scratched my head, "That's rather helpful. What can you tell me about my current situation? Where am I, or where should I go?"

Answer. Currently stranded in a new body naked on a beach.

If it wasn't right, and incorporeal, I would smack the skill so hard for stating the obvious. Except, the new body was something I didn't know. It's true that my body does feel different, but I did technically drown a moment ago. With nothing else to do besides surviving, I adjusted to the new, slightly shorter body and inquired more using [Listener of The Voice]. There was a forest not far from the beach. If it can identify objects then a perfect use would be for it to find food and drinkable water.

"So the things I heard before, the ones you were listing, they are my skills?" I continued to talk with the disembodied voice, "I'd like you to identify the three most powerful skills I have."

Confirmed. In order of power. Darkness X. Strong Bonds. Mind Library.

"[Mind Library]? That doesn't sound that powerful. Neither does [Strong Bonds]. [Darkness X]... that sounds edgy." I didn't like the sounds of it, but continued with my questions, "Can you explain what [Mind Library] does?"

Answer. It allows the user to enter an inner library where all acquired past knowledge and memories are permanently stored. This knowledge can be removed from the inner library to the outside world temporarily.

I was rather surprised, "That... could actually be very useful." I've never been a spy, but that could be a valuable tool for gathering information. "What about [Strong Bonds]?"

This skill can only be used when the user and another share a bond of friendship or greater. Those that can be bonded with are not limited to humanoid creatures. Upon achieving this, the user can sense the life force of the bonded and use their skills.

"That's a considerable step up in power." I groaned a little at the truth, "Kind of useless since I don't have any bonds right now. Then again, a pet might be an easy one. Okay, now for the last one. What does [Darkness X] do? I'm going to bet something edgy."

Access to the Dark Magic & Corrupted. Primary effect occurs when used with additional skills. When used as such the effect of the attached skill is reversed. Example. A skill that weakens a target, when combined with Darkness X, will strengthen them instead.

I nodded, "Okay, but do any of these skills provide me with pants?"

No.

"Great," I said sarcastically. "If I meet anyone it'll be in my birthday suit. Alright, what about this [Dark Magic] & [Corrupted]?"

Dark Magic passively amplifies your magic power and can give a demonic affinity. Corrupted activates only when Darkness X is used and applies a status effect. If Corruption reaches critical levels, the user will lose control. Caution is advised.

"Now these skills are starting to sound more like trouble." Once at a clearing in the forest, I stopped for a moment and continued, "This [Dark Magic], it implies I can use magic then, right? Is there a spell that can create the illusion of clothes?"

My newfound quest for pants was greeted with more disappointment as I pestered the [Voice of The World] for clothing options. On the greener side of the field, I wouldn't go hungry after identifying some of the edible vegetation. That created its own problem. How was I supposed to cook the wild vegetables? I didn't have a spell that could conjure me a pot and spices, though I'd be surprised if no one thought of such a spell. For now, a white, misshapen carrot cleaned with the nearest pond water I could find would have to do. It still said that it was edible, but I would be lying if I said I was eager to consume it.