Special: Juramas

"'Twas the week before Juramas, and all through the city of Tempest," I spoke aloud, seated beside the crackling fireplace with the listener.

"What does 'twas mean?" The young slime asked me.

"It's a contraction of the words it and was," I answered them and was about to continue.

"What's a contraction?" They asked without a second's hesitation.

"You wanted to hear the story about the first Juramas, right?" I asked, to which they bobbed in agreement, "Then listen, I won't be using hard words to understand."

"Okay, I'll listen carefully," They attempted to hop, in response I grabbed them and held them.

"As I was saying," I cleared my throated and continued, "Throughout the city of Tempest, during the night, the snow had managed to cover all the streets and buildings. The air was cold and although the sky was clear and the sun shined, all of the people were chilled to the bone. I had woken up early that day and looked out the window. Feeling generous, plus annoyed by all the snow, I used [Fire Manipulation] to create seven spheres of fire that I used to clear the snow."

"Is that why we start the holiday-" They stopped themselves, "Sorry..."

I patted them on the head, "It's fine. You're right, every year we start Juramas week with seven fireballs, or fireworks nowadays, to begin the celebrations. On that day, a long time ago, I walked the streets to check my work and make sure no one was hurt. To my surprise, Rimuru was hopping around early like me that morning, however, he seemed sheepish that day. All he said was 'thanks' and quickly bounced his way away.

My guess? He jumped into the snow and got trapped. The snow had to be several meters deep from all the snow that fell. Anyway, I watched over the city, as I had days before, from the rooftops with Erebus. Back then, he was stuck to me often, like glue you couldn't remove. Not to say I didn't enjoy his company, he was a good friend.

On that day, we watched as some of the children played in the snow, and later on, Rimuru joined in. They built an igloo together and ate warm food inside. Erebus asked me, 'Why not join them?' To that, I replied, 'Maybe next year, when my mood is more festive.' It was the end of the first year without my love and since I lost my original home. My heart was saddened, more than either of them knew or that I showed.

I threw myself into the Tenets, but the more I thought of them the more I thought about those winter times I spent with those closest to me. Then Milim, as she always did, appeared in Tempest. With her there I couldn't bring myself to ignore what I felt any longer. I was meeting with Rimuru when she appeared, throwing the doors off their hinges.

That child-like innocence in her eyes when she asked what we were talking about made me decide that perhaps, just maybe, it wouldn't hurt to celebrate. That was the day the idea of Juramas was born. That's why on the sixth day of Juramas, we welcome the Demon Lords that visit with good wishes and padded kimonos. And to those that don't, we sent it to them and our nation's friends," I laughed to myself. "It was also that day that Milim pointed out something funny, but I'll save that for next year."

"That's not fair, I want to know what's funny!" The slime jiggled in protest.

"Fine, when you're a hundred years older I'll tell you. Now on with the story," I laugh once more to the slime's annoyance. It's not like I'm telling them the complete truth either way. It would be a pain to explain Rigurd's question at that time.

***

A long time ago, back when Rimuru and F/N spoke about Juramas, they were in Rimuru's office talking about concerns of fires from people dealing with the cold weather when Rimuru decided to blurt out something he shouldn't have. It was the words Christmas and Santa Claus. Shion, Shuna, & Rigurd were the ones there, Milim wasn't.