Chapter 42: Going Forward

Ever since he was brought back to life F/N had remained more silent and distant from the rest. The look in his eyes read of a person not looking at what was around them but one lost in thought and contemplation. While dead he found himself in a familiar place, under a vast ocean with a creature circling him. Slowly his Ego began to fade until two voices grabbed hold of it, one was his own from another time, the other his father who was rather upset. The three held a long discussion, of the past, present, and future. The last of which lingered in his mind the most.

Shion attempted to talk with F/N, but he simply picked up the slime and carried him once [Raphael] was finished and became dormant. He watched as the people wasted no time cleaning up the debris and wreckage caused by the attack. And with the barriers removed, Aruru was able to bring the Beast people sooner, and so emergency food rations were prepared.

Once Rimuru finally awoke he was surprised to see the people that came to visit him, all of whom were ecstatic that he was finally awake. It was after that that F/N finally returned to the present and learned that Rimuru and Benimaru had a code for if Rimuru stayed the same after becoming a Demon Lord. Though he didn't show it, F/N was amused by it.

"What do you think of Shion's cooking?" Benimaru asked.

Since Rimuru didn't answer fast enough and Shion was nearby she caught wind of the question, "What about my cooking?"

"Seems like he wants to eat your cooking after such a long time," Benimaru said, setting up the slime.

"So that's it!" Shion said with cheer, happy someone wanted to eat her cooking after such a long time. "Then I'll make a serving for everyone!"

"Since it's a dish for Lord Rimuru-"

"Please wait Benimaru," Rimuru cut in, "About the passphrase if I'm not mistaken, you decided it was [Shion's cooking is still extremely bad], am I right?"

Shion was about to kill Benimaru, who pleaded as she left to cook for them, making a promise that he'll enjoy it until his stomach was completely full. The three eventually found themselves seated at a table, Rimuru and Benimaru yelling at each other in a whisper. With more cheer than before, Shion brought a hot pot of what could be loosely considered a stew and dished out a serving for each. Of the three, F/N, who should no longer have any poison resistance, was the first to try it. Rimuru and Benimaru watched in shock as he took one spoon full after another.

"Lord F/N," Benimaru asked with hushed worry, "Are you alright?"

"Huh?" F/N looked at him, as if the question was obvious, much to Shion's joy seeing him eating.

Benimaru tried a bite and fell out of his chair instantly, holding his throat while F/N finished his meal. Rimuru stared on, "Are you..."

"It's not as poisonous as before," F/N faced Shion, "You were practicing while I was in the Beast Kingdom."

Shion was surprised he noticed and smiled, "Yes! I've been trying out new ideas and got some tips from Shuna."

"Could you make something special for the festival?" F/N asked. "But please make sure to cut the ingredients fully."

Shion, happier, agreed before running off to get a head start on it. Rimuru thanked him, as Benimaru remained on the ground, for getting him out of the situation. But F/N didn't respond and went off on his own.

Rigurd, who was always excited for any reason to have a festival and to drink, made an announcement as the sun was setting, the beginning of the interim Tempest Resurrection Festival. A full festival couldn't be made, limiting what there was to drink, eat, and play, but everyone made it work. Rimuru and F/N sat together, quietly drinking as they watched the smiles on the faces of everyone.