⠀⠀⠀ fifty six

Start from the beginning

The doctor shyly smiled, rubbing the back of his neck and stretching at the same time. He pulled the door open further, signaling her to come in.

"What book was it this time?" Scout gave him a lopsided smirk, laying her keys and cell phone on the kitchen counter.

"It - wasn't a book."

Whatever confidence she seemingly had soon deflated, and was replaced by what she could only describe as - a hypnic jolt.

It was the feeling where as your breathing and heart rate slow down and your body temperature drops, and your muscle tone shifts. Your brain misinterprets the relaxing of your muscles as a sign that you're actually falling and signals your muscles to tense up, in order to protect you.

"Oh." She spoke in a flat tone and cleared her throat, "Well, I'm glad to hear that you're doing better."

"What?"

Scout bit down on her bottom lip, "I - I should've called before I came. It was a stupid mistake on my part, really. I mean, your a handsome guy and you have needs. Any girl would be fucking bonkers to pass you up."

As she darted towards the door, Spencer grabbed her forearm and halting her leaving.

"Scout, what the hell are you talking about?"

Her jaw came loose, "You - You had?"

She didn't want to finish the sentence.

"I had - what? Someone over last night? That's what you think?"

The brunette didn't want to respond. She averted her eyes towards the living room, seeing how it looked completely untouched from the last time she was there.

"Look at me, Scout."

But she refused, still not wanting to see his big, brown eyes staring back at her through pleading eyelashes.

"Please, love. Look at me."

Spencer let go of her arm, snaking his around her waist while his other hand grabbed her chin and guided it towards him. She was right: his eyes were practically begging her.

"I didn't have anyone over last night, or any other night this past month. I would never, never do that to you. Especially after all that we've been through. I still love you, I never stopped loving you."

"But the baby -"

"The baby was out of our control. I told you back at the hospital. Loosing him would never change how I feel about you, or that I still want to marry you. That is, unless you changed your mind?"

'No,' She thought. 'But you might regret saying all of that tonight.'

"I love you too, Spencer. I'm sorry. I'm so sorry for pushing you away. I - I - I didn't know what that to do anymore. I didn't know how I was supposed to keep going. I felt like a part of me died when we lost the baby."

Spencer pulled her into his arm, letting his chin rest on top of her head, "I know. I felt the same way, love. And if I'm being completely honest, I pushed you away too. I didn't try and talk to you, I didn't make more of an effort to seek you out."