⠀⠀⠀ twenty four

T W E N T Y  F O U R

HOTCHNER RUBBED HIS eyes as he flipped through the new files he was handed

It wasn't the information that he wanted, not one bit. There were no positives, no bright side, no lesson to be learnt. Someone was shooting at his team, no doubt.

And yet, there was no evidence to be found.

Hotch grabbed the reports and walked out of his personal office. The main area of the BAU was quiet and empty but the conference room was buzzing. Through the small window he could see Morgan tossing around a ward of paper like a ball to Wiley, who happily threw it back and forth. A small smile creeped on his lips but he quickly withdrew when he remembered what was occurring.

As he stepped in the room, his team got quiet out of respect for their leader. Wiley and Morgan sat in their seats, both on opposite sides of Reid.

"I'm sure you're all wondering why I called you in today." He said, standing in front of the monitor where Garcia usually was.

There was a silent lull.

Hotch sighed, "The reports came in and no evidence was found on the sniper. The bullet went clean through Reid's shoulder and can't be found at the site. They assume either someone picked it up or was lost because of the high winds that night. Either way, there's nothing we can use to get on a trail."

"Are you kidding me? That's bullshit, there has to be something, Hotch." Morgan threw his pen on the table.

"I don't get it. They won't help us." JJ leaned forward in her seat.

Hotch shook his head, "The FBI is willing to help but there's nothing to help with. At this current moment, the sniper is a ghost."

"A terrible one at that." Rossi said.

Wiley furrowed her eyebrows, "What do you mean?"

"If this is a trained sniper, why didn't they take the shot? Forgive me, Reid but this is most likely an assassin. Aren't they supposed to aim somewhere else, not your shoulder."

"I've been wondering that too," Reid nodded. "They got me in the shoulder but they didn't do any damage to my organs. They aren't a lousy shot - in fact, they're pretty talented."

"You're not making sense, Reid"

"Look, the shoulder contains the subclavian artery, which feeds the brachial artery which is the main artery of the arm, as well as the brachial plexus, the large nerve bundle that controls arm function. If you get hit in the brachial plexus, you're probably not going to be walking around good as of five minutes later."