⠀⠀⠀ fifty four

Start from the beginning

"No buts. Stay put."

"Yes, Sir." She smiled.

With one final kiss, he went to shower, and Scout, with another smile, turned over and fell back asleep, grateful for Spencer and for her new life.

He showered and dressed, and, bent over the bed to kiss her again.

"I'll see you for lunch."

"I get to see you at lunch?" Scout chuckled. "I'm a lucky woman."

"You're not the only lucky one." He kissed her belly gently. "Take care of your mama, baby."

With a saucy smile, he walked in bouncing steps to the kitchen. His phone rang as he was pouring milk into a bowl of cereal, and he saw Aaron Hotchner's contact on the screen.

He swiped the screen. "Morning, Hotch. What's up?"

"Can you stop by my place on your way to work?"

Spencer frowned. "Yeah, of course. Anything wrong?"

"Not at all. There are some papers I'd like you to sign."

"What kind of papers? Wait, are you making me Director of the FBI already? You're too kind sometimes."

"Papers regarding the relationship between you and Scout."

"The r – relationship?"

"You're going to get married while working in the same division of the BAU. That does require some paperwork for you both to do, and there is no time like the present to get started."

Spencer grinned in delight. "I guess I never thought about it. Do you need Scout too?"

"No, it's her day off. Let her sleep as much as she can before the baby comes."

" I can – I'll drop by right after breakfast."

"See you then."

Spencer looked at his phone in surprise yet excitement for a long moment before turning back to his breakfast.

His meal was interrupted by a strident scream from upstairs.

"Spencer!"

At the sound of Scout's voice, he dropped his spoon and sprinted across the room to the stairs. Jumbled, terrified thoughts of previous criminals he had locked up tore through his mind as he bolted to the second floor and threw open the bedroom door.

Scout stood in the doorway of their bathroom, her face white.

"I – I'm bleeding."

Spencer's pupils dilated in fear. "What happened?"

She shook her head rapidly in confusion. "I – nothing. I – I just went to the bathroom. And there was – blood – in my underwear. Spence, I think there's something wrong."

His stomach twisted, and with deep dread, his mind blanked. He could not think what to do or say, and there was a buzzing in his ears as he frantically searched his mind with what he should say and do.