⠀⠀⠀ fifty three

Start from the beginning

"You said yes, right?"

"What?!" Spencer's voice erupted in a yelp.

"Oops. I should let you go, JJ. The hotel just started showing reruns of George Lopez and you know how much I love that show. Bye guys!"

Scout immediately hung up the phone, wincing at the how the conversation went but was just glad that they didn't suspect anything. At least she would have one less thing to worry about.

"You have arrived at your destination." The robotic sounding voice of the GPS announced as she put the parking brake on and turned off the engine.

"Of course, the middle of nowhere. Why was I picturing a Mcdonald's parking lot?"

The Tehachapi desert was barren for miles out but thankfully, it wasn't as warm out anymore. Sunset was on the horizon and temperatures were going down along with it.

Scout tied her hair up into a ponytail before fastening the laces of her boots. Before heading out, she had changed into black leggings and a black, three quarter sleeved shirt. Angelo had said to come unarmed and alone, which she knew she had to comply with.

It was an unspoken rule amongst people who took on the profession of assassinating: if you want to live, you listen.

The brunette smirked silently to herself as she got out of the car. She quickly tugged on her bulletproof vest with the FBI insignia across her chest. Sure, she was alone and unarmed. But that didn't mean she couldn't have a few tricks up her sleeves.

The second unspoken rule amongst assassins? Never trust anyone.

"Glad to see that you've made it. I was beginning to think you were going to back out."

A rough voice shouted from behind the brunette, causing her to forget a second and turn around. She was met with a wooden bat - across the face, and the hit caused the female to slump to the floor - losing hold of her balance. She shook her head quickly and got her bearings back, however, felt a nasty throbbing pain now in her jaw.

Angrily, Scout flipped up to her feet and simultaneously chipping up her arms into a fighting position.

"A bat?" She smirked, spitting out the lump of blood that pooled in her mouth. "A bit of rookie move if you ask me."

Angelo glared at her - also dressed in dark clothing - and bore two pistols, tucked inside his straps. The bat he had hit her with was slug across his shoulder, ready to take aim again.

Scout snarled, not taking too kindly to having been caught off guard, "How do you want to go about this, kid? Looks like you aren't the kind to play fair, huh?"

"I like to play rough," Angelo cocked his head to the side, showing how confident he really was.

The brunette lunged forward, so she was close enough to disarm the guy of his weapon with a simple twist and kick. She then spun right round - lifting his wooden staff to the male's head level - and smashed it right across the side of his head.

The man slammed into the side of the SUV - trying to get his balance back - but his legs went unstable and he gave up dropping to the ground unconscious. Scout snorted in victory upon her defeated foe and twirled his bat in triumphant before throwing it on the floor.