The night before my flight, the neighborhood threw a going away block party that they were apparently planning for a few weeks. They were probably the people most affected by my win. I put Seven Oaks on the map for something other than a crime related issue, so of course they were bound celebrate.

The party was a normal block party. It consisted of loud music that could be heard from miles away, drinking, kids playing in the summer sun, and teens 'going on walks' and coming back with eyes as red as the bricks on my house. Just pure fun.

But, I felt like shit. I was leaving all of this behind, and it made me feel guilty. I was leaving all of the people who I grew up with, all my experiences growing up in this exact hood, behind to go to some stupid school in Japan. Like what kind of Disney movie is this?

At the end of the party the DJ shouted me out and pulled me up to his booth, and people began making testimonials about how much they're going to miss me.

Mrs. Lucy talked about how she practically raised me, which was true. She took care of every child in Seven Oaks, as though they were her own.

Mr. Johnson, my neighbor talked about how he knew I was a smart boy from the start. I did his taxes for him.

Papa talked about how I was making him and our ancestors proud.

Faith and Connor, my friends, talked about how they would miss me and how we're always going to be friends no matter what.

I wanted to cry, I wanted to run away, but I just smiled and thanked everyone for the party.

Later that night after the party, I snuck out when my grandad was asleep and went to me and my friends' meeting spot for the last time. The abandoned Piggly Wiggly just outside the neighborhood. When I got there I found Faith holding back the tears and Connor attempting to comfort her.

I broke down right then and there.

I remember apologizing and just crying to the point where I couldn't even stand.

I remember Connor and Faith running over to my side and holding me like a damn baby.

We have been together since we were in diapers. Always a trio. But now I was leaving.

I was leaving them behind.

So all we did that final night was cry, talk about the good times, and stare up at the stars in the Florida night sky.

The next morning I grabbed my suitcases and book bag, and had a quiet home cooked meal with Papa. I didn't sleep a wink. The bags under my eyes were evident enough, but Papa didn't say anything. I could tell he didn't sleep either.

I barely touched my breakfast and just stared around the kitchen that I wouldn't see for a year or two. I tried to engrave every little detail in my mind, from the cheap wooden table with a broken leg, to the box of Fruitloops on top of the refrigerator.

When we walked outside we were greeted by Faith and Connor who tackled me in a hug so tight i almost dropped my luggage. No tears were shed. We used them all up the night before.

"You better snap us everyday, hoe!" I remember her yelling at me.

That made me laugh for the first time in days, and my laugh caused them to laugh too.

"I'm going to miss you guys," I said staring into their eyes, so they know I mean it.

"Of course you are, we're your best friends idiot" Connor said as he playfully punched me in the arm.

And with that, we left. I watched them get smaller and smaller in the rear view mirror, and soon the neighborhood, and soon Jacksonville. I looked over at Papa who had his usual tough expression on his face, but I knew he was taking it harder than everyone else.