VI

A quirk assessment? With expulsion for the person in last place? This has got to be a joke! Hikari gritted her teeth

A quirk assessment? With expulsion for the person in last place? This has got to be a joke! Hikari gritted her teeth. This didn't sound too good. "Heh, you kid, right, teach?" she asked nervously, raising a finger.

Aizawa flashed a grim look at her. "I wouldn't joke about expulsion," he deadpanned.

Hikari's eyes widened. "Right! Sorry!"

The black-haired teacher turned to the class. "Like I said, I get to decide how this class runs. Understand? If you've got a problem, then you can head home right now."

Ochako stepped forward and protested, "You can't send us home! I mean, we just got here! Even if it's the first day, that isn't fair!"

Hikari grabbed a hold of Ochako's shoulder. "He totally can, dude, keep it down!" she hissed through her teeth. If their teacher was capable of expulsion at a whim then who knew what he'd do to her friend if she protested against his words.

"Oh, and you think natural disasters aren't?" The class recoiled at his response. "Or power-hungry villains, hm? Or catastrophic accidents that wipe out whole cities? No; the world is full of unfairness. It's a hero's job to combat that unfairness. If you wanna be a pro, you're gonna have to push yourself to the brink. For the next three years U.A. will throw one terrible hardship after another at you. So go beyond, plus ultra style." He lifted his hair out of his face. "Show me it's no mistake that you're here."

This teacher is definitely hardcore! I gotta do my best on these tests, even if he's a little crazy, but that's what I have to do to be a hero, right? Hikari balled her hands into fists and clenched her jaw. Let's do it!

//

The 50-Meter Dash

My quirk won't be of any use in running... unless...

Hikari took a deep breath and swung her right arm windmill style. Alongside her was a thin, bony boy with black hair, stretching his arms and legs. What was most notable about him were his elbows; they were round and jaunty. I wonder what his quirk is... To her left was a girl with pink skin, curly, yellow horns and fluffy pink hair. What surprised Hikari the most were her eyes. Black with gold irises, she noted.

She shook her head. No time to be staring, HIkari! Concentrate! Hikari took a deep breath and closed her eyes. Gradually, her arms began to glow a soft light. She could hear the surprised murmurs of her new classmates, but she ignored them. In her hands a large, golden shield was formed. Hikari tested its durability before setting it on the soft dirt. It was perfect, sturdy enough to support her weight.

It never hurts to try! To be quite honest, Hikari had only used this trick once in her life, and it had nearly resulted in a trip to the emergency room.

"Runners, on your marks, ready... Go!"

Immediately the pink girl dashed forward, grey liquid oozing out of her feet and onto Hikari's side of the track. Hikari, surprised, decided to use this to her advantage. The slime would make her makeshift toboggan slide easier. She ran forward and slammed the shield and herself onto the ground, launching herself forward. The boy followed in a mad dash.