III

It was now late in the wintertime, trees bare from any greenery

It was now late in the wintertime, trees bare from any greenery. A chilly breeze blew in the balmy morning. Dressed warmly in coats and scarves over their school uniforms, HIkari and Ochako walked to the front of U.A High School. Many other students from other schools walked towards the tall concrete gate. This was it! They finally made it!

All of our hard work will be put to the test! I know it'll all be worth it and- The sound of running feet on the tiled path interrupted her thoughts. Ochako had run ahead of her to stop someone from falling; they were now floating instead. Hikari laughed as the person began to suddenly freak out in midair.

"I stopped you with my quirk," she heard Ochako explain to the green-haired boy she had saved. "I'm sorry I didn't ask first, but I figured you wouldn't mind me catching you." The boy was speechless, still astonished by her power.

"Isn't this all, like, way nerve-wracking?" the bubbly girl asked the boy, oblivious to his staring and Hikari approaching her.

Hikari patted her friend's shoulder. "Hey, hey, you're saving people before we've even taken the test! You got this in the bag!" she complimented. Hikari could feel the boy switch his anxious gaze to her. His nerves are through the roof, they're like fireworks! she thought, her smile turning lopsided and sweat-dropping under his panicky eyes. They were green, just like his hair. He looks kinda familiar somehow...

Ochako's shoulders relaxed under her touch. "Well, I guess I'll see you inside. Bye!" she said to the boy. She turned away and began up the stairs, Hikari close behind.

"Let's do this!" Hikari whooped and pumped her fist in the air.

//

At the presentation, Hinata sat between Ochako and a boy with wild, lavender colored hair. He looks like he doesn't get much sleep. Even in the dimly lit room, she could see the dark bags under her eyes. His matching lavender irises turned to catch her staring. "What are you looking at?" he bluntly asks her in a low voice.

Hinata's eyes widened and she began to babble. "Me? Oh, uh, nothing, really, it's just that-"

"Then I suggest not getting distracted and pay attention," the boy interrupted, droning in his monotone voice. Hikari, suddenly embarrassed, faced towards the screen, where someone stepped into the stage.

"What's up, U.A candidates? Thanks for tuning in to me, your school DJ! C'mon and lemme hear ya!" a voice loudly announced. He was dressed from head to toe in black leather. The only color came from his gear and large, swooping blonde hair. It reminded Hikari of a cockatoo's head. That's... that's Present Mic!

Despite his enthusiasm, though, no one responded to his greeting. It seemed that everyone was either too nervous or too confused to bother responding. In Hikari's case, it was both.

"Keeping it mellow, huh?" Present Mic shrugged nonchalantly, as if it was a totally normal response. "That's fine, I'll skip to the main choke. Let's talk about how this practical exam is going to go down, okay? Are you ready?!" Once again, his energetic question was met with an empty silence.