Chapter 25

[25— Free]

   So... Flawless.

   My hands lifted towards those perfectly etched porcelain features. I wanted to wear it— No, needed to wear it. There wasn't anything or anybody else that could have been more impor—

   "They don't belong to you!" 049 seethed, gloved hands taking hold of the mask and tearing it off its host.

   The carcass collapsed to the ground. I was riddled out of my trance. The comedy mask was flung to the ground. Before I knew it, a pair of hands took me and began to lead me away from the scene.

   It was only seconds before something else wrapped around me, and I sucked in a breath as I was ascended into the air. 049's hands slipped from me, the tendril getting a firm hold on me.

   "Oh, you have to make things difficult, do you?" The voice of 035 boomed in my head.

   I wriggled my hand into my pocket, managing to get my knife out in a finicky manner.

   "[Name]!" 049.

   I stabbed the blade through the tendril, beginning to jerk it around. The grasp it had on me only tightened, causing a slight hitch in my breath as I continued to struggle and writhe around where I was. It wasn't long before I managed to cleave through the tentacle.

   Crashing to the ground, it was only seconds before I was yanked from it and was being dragged from the scene. Another tendril shot up for us, followed by two more. I gasped out, barely managing to dodge one of them and take jabs at the others with the knife.

   It was only seconds before we were too far and out of the mask's sight. In such, the tentacles had ceased.

   We ran, and we ran, and we ran. There was no stop, and no telling how much time had just been wasted. We pushed forward, sights dead on the forest right in front of us. The sounds of helicopters were fading away, and it was only a guess that it was because the warhead was soon to go off.

   My lungs were on fire, but it didn't stop me. It didn't stop us. We broke through the treeline, and we didn't even stop there. We stumbled through the undergrowth, wanting nothing more but to get away from that place. The sirens were still plenty loud, even with how far away we were getting.

   On, and on, and on. Time was void to my head at that moment. There was nothing but the pumping of my legs and the will to survive.

   An ear-splitting boom crackled through my ears, a shock-wave managing to knock the both of us off of our feet. I lost my breath as we tumbled down into a ditch from out fall, my entire vision becoming nothing but a meaningless blur as I was flung about. The ground scraped at me and there was barely any chance to process anything as I soon squeezed my eyes shut. Immense winds roared along with heat washing over the air. Crashing noises were just audible, as well as large chunks of material crashing all around us.

   I ceased in my rolling, ending up at the bottom of the ditch with 049 next to me. My entire body ached, and the ringing in my ears was overwhelming. What seemed like faint scrambling was just barely traceable to me through all of the other sounds, and I caught sight of the leaves and earth around be was being rapidly disturbed once I opened my eyes. I felt a weight come onto me from above, sinking into me and keeping me low to the ground. What seemed like hands were planted on the ground at both sides of my head.

   I only lay there, eyes wide and head spinning in the headache that was forming. I wasn't even able to tell if I were breathing or not. Eyes stinging, there were tears forming that blurred most of my vision. I did nothing about it. I couldn't have. It was like my whole body was too terrified to move.