Chapter 7

[7 — Cog in a Machine]

|| Your P.O.V (The past) ||

   "Alright, [Last Name], since this is your first time working with this SCP, I'd like to give you a few tips to help you out here," Dr. Juarez's voice humbled in my ears.

   Just three days ago, I was notified of my bodily samples (blood, saliva, skin flakes) had proven to be the only one not reacted to negatively by SCP-049, and that I was to begin working with and speaking with it, given their last one was being moved to work on another anomaly in the Site.

   I was given time to prepare, of course, and had been handed the basic files to read up on to do so. Having read them all— Several times, even— I had realised that unlike how I had to with 079, there was chance that sucking up to it and using a passive tone wouldn't be necessary to get anywhere.

   I gave a nod to the other researcher. "Have at it, then."

   Dr. Juarez explained to me simple things, such as to avoid insulting his cure and things of the like, seeing how that it has usually never went all that well to do so.

   During all of this, I was able to gaze inside of the cell to 049 whilst I listened. It was sitting on the bed, gloves hands folded over one another as it stared at seemingly nothing.

   When he was done tipping me, I bluntly thanked him before taking up a fresh pen and letting them know I was ready to head inside.

   "Of course," Dr. Juarez complied, signalling to the others in the room with a curt nod to get with it.

   The guards neared the door, one with a pair of cuffs, and the other holding a gun and lavender.

   "That won't be necessary if I'm not infected." My words were laced with a frosty aftertaste, an unintentional glare held in my [colour] eyes.

   The guards had both stopped, staring at Juarez for confirmation.

   "It's for safety precautions," the said doctor reiterated, shooting that slight glare back, though with raised eyebrows. "We can't have another incident like with what happened to Dr. Hamm."

   I could see 049's head shift in our direction in the corner of my eye at the sound of that name.

   "Well, I'm not Hamm," I argued. "And I won't be stupid enough to come down here and talk to this thing on my own."

   Long seconds of silence juggled the tension between us, and as much as my heart was pounding, I didn't let my gaze waver.

   If we were going to get results— If I were to get as good results as possible, I needed them to be as raw and unrestrained as possible. Chains or no chains wouldn't matter, but I did know that lavender was necessary to restraining it, and I wanted 049 to be as real as possible when speaking to it.

   "Alright, fine, [Last Name]," Juarez gave in, giving in to me with a nod in the direction of the guards, whom backed out of the way so I would've been able to step through.

   Only giving a hum in response to any of it, I stepped past the armoured men, hoping to hell that I wasn't wrong or that 049 would suddenly sense his supposed disease in me in the middle of it all.