Chapter 22

[22— A Way Out]

   "Take it."

   Three of the men stepped forward and lowered their guns. The others did not. One of them stopped in front of the doctor— Whom I was still holding back to the best of my ability— And seemed to act as bait. The anomaly's hands were reaching out desperately for him. The other two rounded 049 and quickly clutched his arms with both of their hands.

   I quickly backed away, heart demanding that it be allowed to leap out of my chest. I was screwed. The both of us were totally screwed. I was absolutely clueless on what to do. In fact, I was perfectly away that there was nothing that could have been done.

   One of the men shifting in the corner of my eye was visible as 049 was forcefully lugged away from me. "And the D-Class? It doesn't seem like the SCP reacts to 'em."

   Their supposed commander was silent for a moment. "We'll take them with us," came his blunt tone as he began to move away. "Lock them up in the cell with it. Don't hesitate to shoot them if they try anything."

   My wide eyes darted over to 049, panic no doubt visible in my expression. It was all over, but at least I wasn't dead and neither was he.

   "Yes, sir," came another masculine voice as the one who had inquired about me approached me.

   Trembling where I was, I gave no struggle as he confiscated the gun that's handle was halfway out of my pocket before forcing me along with a harsh shove on my back. Either the knife wasn't visible in the depths of my jumpsuit's pockets, or the man knew I wouldn't have been stupid enough to try and use it. Or, if I was, that there wouldn't be any problem shutting me down with a bullet through the brain.

   Racking out my breaths, I followed along. My eyes were trained on the doctor in front of me, who was still struggling in the grasp of the two men, whom of which weren't fazed by his unyielding efforts. I was able to practically feel the tip of the gun aimed between my shoulder blades as the man behind me continued to force me along.

   At least I'm not dead. I still have a chance. I had been telling myself that over and over again as I observed my surroundings repeatedly. There were eight in the squad total. Two were holding 049, and one was behind me. One was leading them on, and the rest were surveying the area. It was mostly quiet save for the mutterings of the plague doctor, the heavy footsteps of the NTF, and the blood roaring in my ears.

   The tension in the atmosphere was suffocating. My mind was twisting with thoughts passing on through like a running slot machine. The knife was useless. I wouldn't even be able to stab the guy behind me with it before I was killed. There was no way to cause a distraction. Was there a way to use 049? He wouldn't have listened to me in the state he was in. The men wouldn't listen to anything I say anyhow; I was just a stupid D-Class. I couldn't fight my way through. Eight rifles and highly trained men overpowered me by default. The only reason I had survived those guards was because of the convenience of 173 and 096.

   A hallway had another dead body laying in the middle of it. Blood had pooled around the mangled corpse of what seemed like a scientist. As I stepped closer and over it, the scent of death coming from the body as well as the crimson liquid was agitating my nose.

   Nothing plausible was coming to mind. In the end, I was just outnumbered and overpowered. Despite that, I hadn't been willing to give up. I figured perhaps as we went along, there would be something that would come up either in my head or something that could be usable in our surroundings that could work.

   A loud crack split my eardrums, and abruptly all of the men had stopped. Gunshots took over, and the lights above us rapidly flashed as chaos ensued. Before I was able to turn around, the guy behind me shoved me violently to the floor, a yelp emitting from me. Everything was so loud.