Chapter 10

[10 — Usefulness]

   The elevator was long gone at that point, several minutes having passed from us cautiously making our way down the corridors. My legs and shoulder blades had still stung, though I wasn't surprised at that, just glad that they had been fixed and that we were out of those maintenance tunnels. If I had ever seen another one of those 966's, I wasn't sure what I'd do.

   Each hallway we had passed through was dimly lit in the section we were in past the gates- The one that divided the two elevators that went up to the maintenance tunnels. Some of the lights were busted, while some others didn't work at all, and others were only faintly functioning.

   049 and had I managed to remember the codes two some of the storage rooms that were listed back in that manila folder. We had discussed them on our way, having only remembered about eight in total. It wasn't a lot, but it was better than nothing.

   Each hallway was the same as the one on the previous section, the rust-coloured walls, floors, and roofs being just as bleak as the atmosphere.

   An agonising scream of a woman was audible in the distance to the left of me, and it had only left more discomfort in me. Throwing up a glance behind me and to 049, he hadn't seemed bothered by it.

   I only swallowed, pretending I wasn't either.

   "Agh... I really want to find somebody to chase," 173 abruptly whined.

   I imagined myself having fled from the statue, easily picturing how I wouldn't have lasted more than a minute... Perhaps even less. How I would've been sobbing and flailing about in terror as it mocked me.

   "[Name]?"

   Or maybe I would've been too frozen in fear to cry, or to scream. Perhaps I would've would've let him kill me without a sound.

   "[Name]?"

   Maybe he would've gotten to me too quick before I could make a sound, if I had wanted to. I was pathetic.

   "[Name]!"

   "Hey, D-Class! We're talking to you!"

   Blinking rapidly, I was yanked out my thoughts, snapping my head behind me as I suddenly stopped walking. "Hm?"

   Right. Just a Class-D. A criminal. It would've been fine if he had killed me.

   "Are you doing well?" Came the less aggressive tone of 049, his hands clasped together in front of him.

   "I'm fine," I couldn't help but snap. The stress in my chest didn't make it any easier to not.

   Besides, I didn't want to talk about what was going on in my head. They already know anyway. They've seen how meek I am to danger. To being useful.

   The plague doctor didn't even blink. Instead, his head dipped down by at least an inch, the movement being barely noticeable, as well as it cocking vaguely to the side. It was as if he were recognising something.

   Some sort of scoff came from 173. "Oh, really? You sure seem like it, don't ya'?"

   049 straightened himself, ignoring the statue. "There was a room labelled for storage that we had passed by. I had only assumed you would've wanted to look in there, would you not?"

   My eyes shifted to look beyond his shoulder and 173. The words weren't readable, given the distance, but I figured it was that room he had meant. Shoulders slumping a little, I nodded. "I do. We'll look."