Chapter 7: Acceptance

Joy's P.O.V.

I did my best to calm myself down when Dr. Stone told me about Eleanor Griffin. I didn't want to ruin anything but he obviously understood I was pissed off. I just wanted to see my family. He was my family. I missed my relatives. I missed that feeling of belongingness.

I have been miserable since Mary died. Her funeral was the last time I saw Dr. Stone. I called him after three months. He didn't answer. I understood he would be in a horrible state. I went to the hospital he worked in and asked Cody, one of the staff to keep an eye on him and update me.

Dr. Stone called me on Death's first birthday. We had a nice conversation. I tried to be as supportive as I could. I avoided questions that would hurt his feelings. He told me that we should keep in touch only via email. No more phone calls and no more seeing each other. He has forbidden me from seeing my own nephew.

I agreed as I had no choice. He kept emailing me Death's pictures. I sent my pictures as well. I stopped spying on him two years ago. I don't know why but I had a feeling that none of what I did was right. I didn't want to bring yet another complexity to his and my nephew's life.

It has been eighteen years so I thought Dr. Stone was alright. I mean finally accepting things and living life peacefully. Maybe changed his son's name. I assumed then it was the perfect time to pay a visit. Thinking Dr. Stone wouldn't agree, I showed up unannounced.

Things didn't go as expected but I don't regret anything. How you ever been stabbed? You might not be but you probably have seen it in movies. Dr. Stone cut me into pieces with his words. My eyes tear up. I hid it because I'm stronger now. I'm not that young naive woman he knew before. I'm strong enough to meet Eleanor.

What do you wear when you meet your ex-brother-in-law's fiancé? I want to wear my casual outfit. I don't want her to think I don't take her seriously though. I don't know what to do. Anger and love are driving me crazy.

"Calm down, Joy," I said to myself out loud. I got up from my favorite wooden chair and walked to the bathroom. A nice bath will definitely help me calm down. I'll think about what to do meanwhile.

I took one last look on the mirror before I left. My heart was pounding when I drove to the restaurant Dr. Stone asked me to meet up. I parked my car and walked in.

Eleanor's P.O.V.

A lady walked in. "She's gorgeous, isn't she?" I whispered to José. He waved to her. "What do you think you're doing?" I scolded him through clenched teeth. She approached us and pulled a chair.

"Joy, Eleanor. Eleanor, Joy," José introduced.

"How do you do?" I shyly greeted. I internally screamed "SHE'S ALREADY HERE!" Joy smiled at me. She's pretty. I like her ocean eyes.

"Would you like a glass of wine?" José made an offer.

"Yeah sure," she accepted it making herself comfortable in her seat. He poured her red wine.

She took a sip and asked "How long have you two been dating?"

"Two years," I answered and cleared my throat. José put his left hand on my right hand. How sweet of him.

"Did Death know from the start?" Joy asked her second question. Fuck! Death is the major problem here!

"No. He was admitted to a gaming rehab when we started seeing each other," José replied facing me.