A Blutbad in the Park

It seemed that the only way Nina would feel comfortable walking into the precinct was with her head down, going only from point A to point B. Point A being the entrance, point B being her desk. She walked hurriedly, hoping to draw little to no attention to herself.

Not a second later that she made it to her chair successfully, a pair of keys was dropped onto her desk. She looked up to see the Captain standing at her desk.

"Well Detective, looks like your first day in and you already got a case. A robbery just got called in at Henley park," Captain Wu said.

Nina looked at him confused. "What's so important about a robbery at a park?"

"Caller said that the stolen items were drugs," he replied.

"Wow...are people here really that honest where they'd practically sell themselves out that easily?" Nina asked.

"Not normally, but maybe once you check it out you'll find something," he said "Oh! And Officer Bolander happily volunteered this morning to accompany you on your first case."

Nina's jaw tightened in anger as Officer Bolander walked into the conversation and she realized that he was the rude and burly man that she had run into yesterday. He feigned a smile at her, probably for the sake of the Captain.

"Happy to see how you do your first day, kid." He emphasized the last word with a snarky tone and Nina could only glare in response.

Clueless as ever, the Captain gave a big smile to the both of them. "That's the spirit. Happy hunting you two."

Once the Captain walked back into his office, Officer Bolander looked at her annoyingly. "This case isn't going to solve itself. Are you coming?"

"Fine," she muttered. Nina put on a brave face and began to walk. Officer Bolander surprisingly walked alongside her at the same pace.

As they walked through the precinct, Officer Bolander spoke in a hushed tone, making sure only Nina could hear him.

"Don't take this volunteer work as a sign that I'm going to warm up to you. That job should be mine, and I'm going to do everything I can to get it. Even if that means accompanying you on a case. I want to be the first person there to witness the moment where you mess up."

***

Detective Wendel and Officer Bolander arrived in separate cars because neither could stand being near each other any longer than they had to.

Nina took in her surroundings at Henley park. It was a weird set up for a park. The grassy ground seemed to be in a small hill, with the playground set being at the bottom. Kids were still avidly playing on the playground sets, their mothers and guardians walking all over to keep an eye on them.

Her attention then focused on the officer flagging her down near a tree. She walked over expecting to see a man in cuffs, but instead saw a man, a woman, and a young teenage girl sitting anxiously on a bench near the officer.

"I'm Detective Wendel. You're the man that was robbed?" Nina questioned.

The man shook his head. "No! I mean, yes. I am Mr. Jonas, but I- I need to tell you! What you think was stolen was not stolen, but something else!"

Nina looked at the worried man confused. He continued to babble, but Nina could barely make a word out. The woman next to him grabbed her hand anxiously.