The New Grimm in Town

Years ago in Portland, Oregon, a warrior Grimm by the name of Nick Burkhardt came to know the truth about the real monsters of the world - wesen. However, he did not follow the rules of his ancestors in which they were to 'shoot first, ask later'. Nick made his own rules and was the first of Grimm's to befriend wesen while also upholding the law and arresting the troublesome ones.

In Present time,Tang Valley welcomed the arrival of a new resident. A girl by the name of Nina Wendel. Nina is of the new generation of Grimm's that have learned both histories of Grimm's - the gruesome ancestral history of killing just because they are a wesen and the new rules with other means of justice.

Nina didn't know which one was supposed to define her, but she wanted to put as much of it behind her as she could. Sure, the new town provided her a job as a detective at such a young age, but it also provided her with something she desperately wanted as soon as she was presented with the high lineage she had to live up to. The town was a fresh start, a new start even.

She continuously told herself that as she walked up the steps to the precinct. Nina was more nervous than she cared to admit. As she walked through the building she could feel the stares she was receiving and looked down to question her outfit for the umpteenth time.

Were her boots tracking mud behind her? Was she showing too much collarbone with the shirt she chose? She had on a large jacket hoping it would distract others from it! But was that enough?

All these thoughts ran through her head as she knocked on the captain's door.

"Come in," he called.

Nina took one last breath of nervousness and opened the door. The captain looked up from his paperwork and smiled.

"Hey, you must be our new detective from Portland." He stood up and shook her hand enthusiastically. "I'm Captain Akeno Wu."

Nina looked taken aback by his last name. "Wu? Interesting last name. I guess it's common.."

The captain's lips pursed momentarily. "Well, yes, it does happen to be a common name...but I happen to already be familiar with your work Nina...and you're family."

Nina looked at the floor disappointingly and threw herself into the nearest chair.

"So you already know what I am?" she said aside. She thought this job was to begin a fresh start for her.

The Captain nodded. "I do." He hesitated for a moment before looking at her seriously. "And you know what I am, I presume?"

Nina looked up at him cautiously. "I do," she answered.

The Captain nodded in acknowledgement.

"Well at least we got that out of the way. Let's get to business. You're here at your desk Monday's to Friday's at 9am. I haven't assigned a partner for you yet so for now, all inquiries you have you can relay to me."

He opened up a file with Nina's name written on it. His expression changed for a moment from serious to a form of sadness. He cleared his throat before addressing what he had found.

"I'm sorry to read about your mother," he said.

Nina's jaw tightened in anger at the mention of her mother, who suffered a face worse than death. Even for a Grimm.

"Me too," she replied.

The captain looked at Nina and proceeded to close the file, returning his posture to one of a higher figure.

"You have some behavior concerns in your file that previous employers addressed. Will that be a problem here as well?"

"Not at all," Nina answered.

"Great. If you'd like to take a look around the town for the day you're more than welcome. I'd like you to start first thing tomorrow morning."

All Nina did was nod in response. A look around town was a good way to know her surroundings, but also to clear her head of being reminded of the past that she was running away from.

However, that doubtful fear of herself and her being there got the better of her. Before she rose to leave the captain's office, she looked at him questioningly.

"Captain could I ask you something?" she asked.

He looked at her now from his office chair. "Yes, of course."

"Did you accept my application for this job because of our family's history? Or because I was a genuine pick?"

Captain Wu looked at her for a moment before answering.

"While I've known our family's history is strong together, I chose you over other applicants because this town needs something new for once. I think having a younger detective in this precinct is really going to change the way we see things."

"Nice choice of words," Nina scoffed.

"I just mean," the Captain continued "Most of the trouble in this town is caused by college kids. I think having someone their age will really help us see things in their perspective."

Nina smiled a little at his words because it was all she had hoped for. To be known to be someone of help in a totally un-grimm related way.

"I'll tell you something though. I pulled a lot of strings to get you this position because I need that perspective. I know you have detective spirit, but I'm going to need you to be able to show that to everyone else."

Nina nodded in response as her head filled again with all the doubts she already had about herself. However, she continued to think about his previous words and how grateful she was for them.

The Captain proceeded to dismiss her, wishing her a good rest of the day to explore.

As Nina headed out, she felt a little more confident in her walk. She almost managed a smile even. That is, until she ran into a burly man with a uniform on and a permanent scowl on his face.

He looked at Nina with disgust. "Don't tell me you're the person that got chosen for the detective position over me? You're a kid."

His rude tone left Nina speechless. She opened her mouth to say...well something! She should've said anything in any form. Maybe to defend herself, or maybe to ignore his comments and just apologize. But before she could even mouth a word, he pushed past her a little too roughly, and continued on into the desks.

Nina continued her way out, now disheartened by his comments. Her thoughts of self doubt returned and now there was no confidence in her steps.

'I just have to prove to them that I deserve to be here' she thought to herself.

So Nina returned to her new apartment and settled for the Tang Valley travelers guide as her tour around the town. For all she was waiting for was to go to sleep and start the next day.

The day that she'd prove that she's more than just a Grimm.