Just great.

"Oh well." Mira gulped, "we had anticipated the fires going out at some point right?"

Anticipated yes but we had still hoped they wouldn't. Our healers had warned us against potential bad weather. We had still wagered on the chemical and taken action. Good thing we had, it had bought us some time at the very least.

We needed a new plan, and quick. We needed archers back on the rooftop. We needed archers on the towers. We needed to support our sword fighters. There was nothing left to do except battle on the ground. I conveyed the plan to the soldiers shielding us as well as to Jessica. Spreading the word was their duty.

Mira and I were of better service on the ground. Sure we had good aim but I could attract more targets and our people would hopefully take them out. I couldn't hide behind a bow and arrow on a podium or the roof.

Coming down from the stage, I swayed slightly and Mira caught me. I leaned on her and breathed hard.

How long had we been fighting for?

I wondered just how much time had passed between the start of the attack and the present. The sky gave no indication. Storm clouds were gathering slowly and surely, blocking out any light from the moon or the stars. It hadn't felt like long but I was extremely tired. Mira straightened me as we leaned against a nearby pillar. The rain was growing steady.

"Just need a minute." I winced, my legs hurting.

She looked worried for a second but determination replaced that look soon. Instructing a few men to take our place on the stage, she took my hand and squeezed.

I was about to thank her when I heard hoofbeats. A significant amount of them. Horses neighed and Mira looked to me with shock. The sound was unmistakably that of a charge. Someone was charging towards the palace.

"Who did you mean when you said help was on it's way?" She questioned, yelling a little to be heard over the increasing rain.

"Why?" I shouted, my heard beating faster by the moment.

"Nish's army didn't have horses. They travelled on foot." She explained quickly, "It has to be someone else."

"How will we know?" I gasped.

"Please trust me..." she looked at me with imploring eyes.

"I sent word to Ralia as well as Aris." I said, lowering my voice a little, "I also heard that Dominic was on his way back."

We heard unified chanting outside.

"Ho! Ha! Ho! Ha!"

Once again there were war cries outside the palace. There was a fight. I was terrified for our troops. What if they were Nish's allies ?

"Aris. These are fighters from Aris." She smiled, "That's their signature chant. They're the best fighters in the nation."

Maria did it!

The rain grew further to the point where it was almost hurting my skin.

"Take cover!" Someone yelled and the troops mobilised, rushing back towards the indoors.

"Let's get you inside. We can't shoot blind, we can't risk hurting our people." She grabbed my hand once again and we jogged once more.

Mira dragged me to the kitchen this time and all but pushed me in on a seat. Beluh rushed to me with a towel and dried my hair. I was about to ask her why she wasn't with the rest of the civilians but she interrupted me.