Chapter 34

While I'd made sure that the spread was lavish, dinner was just an excuse to find out if Jace really like Ariadne. I was hoping for the best. Getting Maria to come had been Ariadne's job and she'd done it. I caught Maria giving Leo a shy smile before donning her usual impassive mask.

Love is in the air tonight.

I made sure that Ariadne got a seat between Jace and I. It was all part of the plan. He needed to be near enough to 'overhear' our conversation and far enough to believe that he wasn't meant to. Dominic kept throwing me suspicious glances every now and then and I didn't blame him. I had the silliest smile on my face.

"How was your day?" Ariadne asked Maria.

"It was alright." Maria sighed, "they kept asking questions about Torus."

"It is only natural." Leo said, "were they bothering you too much? shall I talk to them?"

Dominic sighed at that.

"I can handle it." She said, giving him a little smile.

"So I meant to talk to you today." Ariadne spoke, "Arlo returned today."

I frowned. That wasn't the plan. She was supposed to tell me that 'he' returned.

"Oh?" Maria acted as though she was surprised. I hoped that Ariadne had explained everything to her.

"Who is Arlo?" Leo asked Ariadne.

"Just someone I know." She shrugged.

"Just someone you know ?" Maria raised an eyebrow, "he was in love with you before he left!"

It was then I realised why Ariadne had changed the plan. Maria was definitely a better actress than I was.

I tried very hard to conceal my smile when Jace dropped his fork. Dominic gave an exasperated sigh at. He caught what we were onto and didn't show the least bit of interest. I hadn't expected otherwise.

"In love with you?" Leo frowned, "who is this clown?"

"Clown?" I raised an eyebrow, "so if a man likes Ariadne, he is a clown?"

I was offended. He was insulting a character I'd worked so hard to create.

"That isn't what I meant." Leo said, "who is this...boy?"

"He is a year older than you." Ariadne smirked at him.

Jace choked on his food at that.

"That's too old for you." Leo said.

"I agree." Jace commented.

Yes!

"He isn't so bad once you get past his peculiarities." Ariadne sighed.

"Peculiarities?" Leo asked.

"You didn't mention him in Ralia." Jace frowned.

Ariadne shrugged as though it was the perfect answer.

"What peculiarities?" Leo asked.