The Reichenbach Fall: Chapter 7

Start from the beginning

"Sherlock, do you know Kitty Riley?" You asked, watching as he placed a slide under his microscope. He looked up at you briefly, looking back down to his scope as he messed around with the dials to focus it.

"Met her once in the toilets at the court, she tried to get me on her side for articles when the media turned, why?" He asked, looking intensely through the scope. Your first question should have been how he met a female in the male toilets, but you didn't have time for questions such as that.

"Because she wrote this interesting article about the two of us, with information she wouldn't know about us... stuff none of the public knows, she mentioned someone, a Richard-"

"Sherlock." John interrupted, looking as if he was on to something. He had a photograph from the crime scene held in his hands as he began to walk over towards the two of you. You were slightly offended he had interrupted you, but took interest in what he had to say as it was clearly connected to this case. That was probably more important at the moment, considering there were children to be saved.

"Hm?" Sherlock hummed as he continued to look down into his microscope. You looked over to see he was holding a picture of a seal that was left on some sort of package.

"This envelope that was in her trunk, there's another one." He told Sherlock. He crossed the room where his jacket was lying, beginning to look around in its pockets. Intrigued, you watched him, you wanted to know what he had found. With this new found information, Sherlock was now looking to John in question.

"What?" He asked, his eyebrows furrowed.

"On our doorstep. Found it today." He found what he was looking for and pulled it from his coat's pocket, looking down at it. "Yes, and look at that." He brought a small envelope over, showing it to you and Sherlock.

"It's the same seal." You nodded, looking at it and comparing it to the crime scene photo. So how did this one end up on your doorstep? Sherlock took the envelope from John, sticking his hand into it and pulling out its contents.

"Breadcrumbs." He whispered, letting them fall from his fingers and back into the envelope. This obviously meant something significant to him as he stared off, and apparent realization coming to his head.

"Uh-huh. It was there when I got back." John told him. You looked at Sherlock, waiting for him to explain what he knew. He had information you didn't and that information had caused Sherlock to connect something you couldn't.

"A little trace of breadcrumbs; hardback copy of fairy tales." He said in a low voice, staring straight ahead as he sat the envelope beside, out of the way. "Two children led into the forest by a wicked father follow a little trail of breadcrumbs." You looked at him, still not seeing how a children's fairytale had anything to do with this.

"That's 'Hansel and Gretel.' What sort of kidnapper leaves clues?" John shook his head and you looked to Sherlock for an explanation, you were lost here.

"The sort that likes to boast; the sort that thinks it's all a game. He-" Sherlock stopped to glance at you, changing his words. "Moriarty- this would be a game to him." He told the two of you. You nodded in agreement, that was a valid point.

"Wait, so what's the connection to 'Hansel and Gretel' other than the missing children and envelope full of breadcrumbs?" You asked for clarification, looking in between the two men. Maybe if you hadn't been at the lab so much you'd know more about this case and could help Sherlock solve it faster to find Moriarty. If so, you could help by putting a stop to his plan rather than knowing what it was. That would be a lot more help to you.

"A book full of fairy tales, we found in the girl's trunk. It was wrapped up with this seal." John informed you. You nodded, now that made sense. Sherlock's brain seemed to be on rapid fire mode now as he looked around him on the table, his eyes darting around as he thought.