𝒊. the aptitude test

Start from the beginning

"I do," Chantara said coldly. "Good thing he isn't innocent then."

A gasp escaped her lips as she awoke from the simulation, icicles streaming through her veins, sending shivers down her spine and pricking her skin with fair goosebumps. Her stomach somersaulted, she felt as if she was about to throw up, the acid feeling crawling up her throat. But she swallowed it and took a deep breath. She relaxed her hands which had been tightly clenched into fists, turning her knuckles ghostly pale and digging her nails into her skin, blood painting the tips of her fingers.

It was almost a good sensation.

The Abnegation woman administring her aptitude test looked away from the computer screen and squinted her eyes at the girl dressed in blue, her head tilting slightly. "When you were in the simulation," she started with a soft voice, her hands resting on the bridge och Chantara's shoulder. "Were you aware that it wasn't real?"

She felt her heartbeat rising, pounding hard against her eardrums — it was exactly like She had warned. Her mother had said that they might ask her about the simulation, and she also informed her exactly what she would answer.

Yes, a part of her wanted to say. It would mean she'd go against Mother and there was nothing she craved more. But Chantara swallowed her pride and shook her head; like she had practiced countless times. "No... W–what, was I supposed to?" Her voice stuttered weakly as her eyebrows creased in worry.

Pathetic, she thought to herself. But necessary.

The woman's features softened into a smile as she shook her head and turned off the computer. "No, you weren't." She faced her. "It's just a safety precaution. Don't worry, you did well."

"What were my results?" She asked impatiently, although she already knew the answer. She had prepared for it: manipulated the simulation to her advantage. Just like she had been taught her entire life.

"Dauntless, without a doubt."

"Oh..." A triumphant expression fought for dominance over her facial muscles but she pushed them back, still holding on to the act of an innocent and scared little girl from Erudite.

"Are you displeased with your results?" The woman asked. "During the test, you sure seemed to know your decisions, there's no question of your bravery if that's what you're worried about."

Yes. "No — Well, I don't know..." Chantara sat up and rubbed her palms against her trousers, blowing a strand of hair away from her face. "I wasn't really thinking while I was doing it, it just sort of happened... I guess it wasn't what I was expecting." The lies were seeping through her lips like air: effortless. "But I don't think my mom will be so pleased."

The Abnegation woman helped her up from the chair and looked deeply into her eyes. "This isn't about her, it's about you." She led her towards the door and patted her shoulder before opening it. "Only you can know what your heart truly desires."

"Thanks," Chantara muttered as she stepped out into the hall, the fluorescent light bouncing off her head. "For the advice, I mean."

"My pleasure," she replied. She closed the door but let her face poke out in the last second as she whispered: "Good luck."

She shot her a forced smile and as soon as the echo of the door closing bounced off the walls, it faltered. Chantara turned around and made her way back to the cafeteria where the others were sitting. Her usual expression finally lacing her features as she thought about what had just happened.

She had succeeded.

All her life Mother had told her about the Aptitude Test, and the way the simulation functioned (working for the Erudite government certainly gave her some advantages), and ever since she had turned eleven, Chantara had been trained. She had been preparing for the test; how to get through each obstacle to reach a clear result as Erudite; to act like a helpless little girl who didn't know better. And today, as she stood there at the age of sixteen, she had completed both tasks. But, little did Mother know that whilst she had been preparing her for Erudite, the girl had been creating her own path. A path to Dauntless. A path to freedom.