Mrs. Weasley was fussing over Bill's hair.

"... getting really out of hand, and you're so good-looking, it would look much better shorter, wouldn't it, Harry?"

Harry, who had been listening to Ron talking about his new broom, jumped. "Huh?" Looking at Bill's hair, Harry was sharply reminded of Ron's hair the previous year and knew what he wanted to say. But he also didn't want to contradict Mrs. Weasley. "Oh — I dunno —"

He quickly moved off to where Fred and George were before she could insist on his opinion.

Ron paused in his descriptions of his broom when he realized Harry wasn't next to him. "Where did Harry go?"

"He's with your brothers," Sirius said, gesturing to Fred and George. As Ron turned to look, the twins wandered up, presumably to their room, leaving Harry alone.

Harry looked unhappy, and although he rejoined Ron at the table, he didn't eat anything else.

"You okay?" Ron asked.

Harry shrugged.

Mrs. Weasley yawned. "Well, I think I'll sort out that boggart before I turn in ... Arthur, I don't want this lot up too late, all right? Night, Harry, dear."

She left the kitchen. Harry watched her go with an unreadable expression on his face.

"You all right, Potter?" grunted Moody.

"Yeah, fine," Harry said.

Moody took a swig from his hipflask, his electric-blue eye staring sideways at Harry.

"Come here, I've got something that might interest you," he said.

Ron was distracted by Ginny nudging his shoulder. "We better clean up."

"I can take it," Tonks suggested, reaching over to grab Ron's plate.

"No, I got it," Ron said, wary of her breaking something.

Tonks shrugged. "Well, if you insist. Your first duty as prefect, hm?"

"Yeah, I guess." With Ginny and Hermione helping, they quickly had all the plates cleaned up and ready for the next meal.

Hermione yawned. "This was an exciting day," she said.

"Mhm," said Ron, whose mind was back to Harry now that that was over with. "Good night."

"Good night."

Lupin came walking in at that moment. His expression was sober. "Harry's in his room already," he said.

Ron exchanged a confused glance with Hermione. He was about to head up there himself. "Is something wrong?"

"He saw the boggart," Lupin said. "It's best if you hear it from him."

Ron looked at Hermione and back again. Wordlessly, he slipped past Lupin and headed to the second landing.

He arrived to see Harry hunched over, his hands covering his face. He was trembling.

"Harry?"

Harry's head shot up, his eyes almost wild in the darkness of the room. He jumped to his feet and flung his arms around Ron. Ron held him just as fiercely, his chin resting on top of Harry's head.

"Lupin said you saw the boggart," Ron said after a few seconds. "Didn't elaborate much."

"The boggart," Harry answered. "It was you. Dead." H shook his head slightly. "I mean, it had turned that way for your mum, but when I saw it, I just — I couldn't move."

"It wasn't real," Ron said, cupping his face. "See? I'm still here."

Harry stared into Ron's eyes with such an intensity Ron was surprised no one else could sense it in any of the surrounding floors. "Yes, but..."

"But what?" Ron prompted gently.

"I've had nightmares over the summer," Harry admitted. "Cedric dying. You dying instead of Cedric."

Ron was silent for a few seconds. When he had asked Harry if he had had any nightmares, Harry had said yes but didn't elaborate. Now Ron could understand why.

"I hate him. Voldemort," Harry said, his voice tinged with anger.

The last time Harry had spoken Voldemort's name Ron hadn't flinched, and this time was no different.

"I know."

"What if he succeeds?" Harry murmured. He squeezed his eyes shut as if to hide away but they flew back open almost at once.

"He won't."

"But what if he does?"

"Then you and Hermione will continue fighting until he's dead," Ron said. "He will not succeed. I know he won't."

He spoke with a conviction that seemingly came out of nowhere, but as Harry gazed into Ron's eyes, Ron realized he believed himself. And perhaps Harry sensed this for his eyes hardened in determination.

"Right."

They slept soundly that night, comforted by the knowledge they had each other for support.

You know, I'm surprised Harry didn't have nightmares of his friends dying in the books. Cause he loves his friends and found family, there's no denying that. Or... did he and I'm just misremembering?