01

***Italic with quotations is talking and italic with no quotations are thoughts***

[Wooyoung POV]

As I open the big glass doors and step into the all too familiar smell of coffee, I think about all the homework that has been slowly drowning me. Drowning, I've always thought of it as a painful way to go, not quick, not painless, it's long and tiring.

Skimming my hand across the cold counter top I greet my co-workers, Jongho and Hongjoong. Hongjoong hired me after seeing my pitiful self looking at available jobs when I was visiting the café. I accepted of course, I needed the money, at this point I'll do anything for a few extra bucks. With taxes stacking and my mother spending every coin we have left on useless objects that she'll flaunt on random rich men, I barely have enough money to support myself. My mother spends the money we received from my fathers life insurance. She quit her job after emotional stress since she lost the "love of her life", we all know she was cheating, only quit because she now had more money then she could handle.

Jongho and Hongjoong reply back with a simple "hello" and wave. The café is at it's busiest time so I go straight to making orders behind the counter. Time goes by dreadfully slow as I welcome each customer in with a convincing warm smile. I'm not saying I hate this job, no I really appreciate getting it, I just see no point in welcoming strangers with a real smile. Why would I be happy to see them? It's only more work for me. I can't say it's the same for Hongjoong, he really loves this job. It's probably the reason he started this café in the first place, he loves to see customers happy. Meaning he's a bit strict, he doesn't want us upsetting any customer. Although I don't mind how strict he is since I get paid more then expected for this job.

Closing time is only 5 minutes away and I start making what I hope would be the last drink of the day. Jongho left early because he had to study for a test that was tomorrow and since work was slow Hongjoong allowed him. I finish the caramel latte, which happens to be my favourite drink, and pass it to the customer before they leave.

As I was about to start packing up the store for closing a customer walks in.
"For gods sake" I mumble under my breath
"Welcome! What can I get for you today?" I say plastering a smile on my face as I look at the man who stares at me blankly.
"An Iced Americano" he answers bluntly.
Rude, Hongjoong overhears the convosation so he starts making the bitter drink straight away. I don't take another look at the man infront of me as I start to wipe the tables for the last time. Once I finished I turn around and glare at the man who has been staring at me the whole time.

He smirks, takes his now finish drink and leaves. Creep, there's always a couple customers who stare every time they come in, but none have left me this unsettled.

I say my goodbyes to Hongjoong while grabbing my bag. Stepping out the doors I'm immediately hit with the cold winter air and the view of the dark sky. I snuggle closer into my coat, tighten my mouth, and begin my walk home. I only live 5km from the café and public transport is uneeded costs, so walking is my best option. I've been walking for 15 minutes and I still can't shake the feeling that somethings off. I quicken my already fast pace and try to clear my thoughts, shaking them off as paranoia.

I slam my door shut as soon as I enter my home. Quickly regretting it as I see my mothers face quickly turn into rage. I scream internally at myself for being careless and brace myself for the night ahead. The usual was more aggressive, the kicks and slaps were harder and the curses she'd throw at me somehow got worse. I grasp at my knees and hold myself in a cowardly position as I take the harsh beating.

Once it's all over and the last of my tears escape my now swallow eyes I painfully pull myself up the stairs, my knees buckling at each step. I step into the shower and let the cold unpleasant water erase my thoughts and hit my fresh bruises.

Drowning, is it really as painful as people say?

A/N
This is my first book so advice is welcome :]
I hope you enjoyed and take care of yourself <3