She's Mine: Chapter 14

Start from the beginning

Eliza hid her hands in her lap, clasping one over the other to control the shaking. 

"You'll have to show me pictures of Charlie too... Troy," Eliza nervously returned. 

The smile that threatened to show on his face had no chance– it was completely gone. Eliza's chest wasn't the only one holding an erratic rhythm. She tried to avert her eyes once more, but he called her name again. She pressed her lips together and gripped her hidden hands even tighter. 

Troy took in a deep breath, still experimenting. Yet, his hypothesis failed. He wasn't going to come down, and his red wasn't going to fade this way.

"I guess I do have a question," he cut in, after shifting his attention to her clock.

"Yes?!" she yelped. 

He finally showed a side grin, prompting, "Lunch?" 

Visibly flustered, she carried a lowered head to the elevator. Troy was strolling behind, hands in pockets. He was still stuck on her words about him earlier, and he was glad that their schedules weren't out of control at the moment. He was hungry before, but now he was starving, trailing after the vision in front of him.

Their meal was relatively quiet, but the strangest part to Eliza was that Troy hadn't bothered to look at the dessert menu. While waiting for their checks, she picked up the small list that was placed behind the salt and pepper. Flipping through it, she didn't find what Troy would always be looking for. 

"I know, right?" she heard him whisper. 

Glancing up to Troy, his warm greens were smiling at her. Shocked that he had picked up so quickly on her motives, Eliza carefully resituated the small black book. 

"Troy, you've been so quiet," she finally confessed. 

"I'm sorry. I don't have too much to say today," he smirked. 

She rolled her eyes, "You don't have much to say? Troy? You?" 

He pursed his lips together, pouting, "What does that mean?" 

"It just means, I'm not used to being around you with this much silence," Eliza playfully retorted. 

"I figured you would like that," he huffed, crossing his arms like Charlie might. 

"Well, I don't," Eliza snipped, failing to hide the humor she found in his demeanor.

Troy didn't hesitate to pick up his glass of water and take a proper swig. Eliza noticed the discomfort, but called his name. 

It felt like a mistake to do it, but she didn't regret it. The pressure, between them, was as clear as day, so much that a full minute had passed before they noticed their check had been placed on the table.

"Tell me, Liza. What are your plans for tonight?" Troy sighed, cheekbones risen. 

There had been silence during their entire trip back to her office. She wanted him to say something, but she didn't expect what he just asked. 

A little confused, she looked up to him with wide eyes. 

She was incredibly baffled by what he was getting at, muttering, "I'm going home." 

"Mmm hmm, to play with Sweet Baby Lu?" he hummed. 

"You just have to give everyone a nickname," she teased. 

Without a trace of shame, he admitted, "I can't help it." 

"I know," she pouted, turning away and walking to her desk in an attempt to hide her look of delight.

"Liza, you've been teasing me all day," he chuckled. 

"Have not," she immediately combated, still playful in nature. 

Eliza took a seat in her chair and spun to him. Troy was enamoured with her liveliness, his hands were in his pockets again as he took a few steps closer to her desk. Taking in some air and exhaling he looked over her face. 

"Yes, Mr. Daniels?" she crooned. 

His eyes fluttered and he looked off to the side. He couldn't wipe the smile from his face letting tone of Eliza's latest words sink in. Temptation made him to look down at her desk's clean surface. His hidden hands were balled into fists– a feeble attempt to restrain his frustration. 

Still glancing at the enticing top of Eliza's desk, he forced himself to say, "I'll leave you now. If I don't see ya again... before you go, send Emmy and Sweet Baby Lu my greetings." 

"Will do," Eliza murmured, not intending for those words to also send Troy into a more exasperated state.

With haste, he was out the door. Eliza melded into her seating and gripped the arms of the chair. She didn't want to keep thinking about what just went on for the last two hours. Technically, nothing happened. 

It was nearing the last hour for the workday, and Eliza was firing off her last emails and tasks. Her foot was still shaking in an attempt to go against her instinct while she glanced at her clock. 

Yanking up her belongings, she rushed to the elevator. She pressed the button, but rolled her eyes and shook her head to herself. Storming back down the hall and past her office, she finally approached a familiar panel of frosted doors and stared at them. If she waited any longer, she wouldn't do what she wanted to do. So she did it. She knocked. 

"Come in," she heard him command on the other side, and she let his voice echo around her mind– taking in what he sounded like when he didn't know she was at the door. 

She poked her head inside and found a look of surprise on his face. He couldn't help jumping to his feet when he saw an avid look on Eliza's face as she stepped inside.

Eliza's few small and inadequate steps were met with Troy's quick and long strides. Both chests were rising and falling a pace that was quicker than normal. 

Those rich golden browns were wandering over his frame. With his suit's blazer slung around the back of his desk chair, she was able to admire what was barely hidden in his white button up. 

"Yes, Liza?" he gasped, looking over her face. 

With slight agony, Eliza finally tore away from impish impulses and crooned, "Goodnight, T."