She's Mine: Chapter 14

Comenzar desde el principio

Finally done, Eliza grabbed her phone and quickly scrolled through. 

She randomly laid it across the table and smiled big, telling him, "Look."

Troy hit play, and watched the video of Lulu somewhat singing during her bathtime– mimicking Emmy's sweet tune.

"Aww, baby Lulu!" he chuckled. 

Eliza's stomach turned at the sound of her daughter's name again, and the discomfort was welcoming again. 

"You seem very happy, Liza," Troy stated with red cheeks. 

Her phone was back on her desk and she stared at the still shot of her baby on the screen.

"I'm trying to understand why," she admitted, and her smile slowly began to fade.

He quickly injected, "Oh don't let me ruin your moment. I don't think we always need a definite reason to feel good. Just best to go with our instincts... most times." 

She closed her eyes and pressed her head against the headrest of her seat, sighing, "Is that why you're always smiling, Troy?"

"I'm not always smiling, Liza," he snickered. 

She opened one eye, and Troy sheepishly turned his smirk away from her. 

"I know, but I prefer it that way," Eliza confessed, lifting her head from the cushion. 

Now, Troy had fallen into doing the exact opposite of what she preferred. She said she would rather see the Daniels grin; however, she didn't mind when his eyes were still and on her. 

"Did I say something wrong?" she softly challenged. 

Immediately, he groaned, "No." 

It was so quiet in her office that she could hear herself breathing. Uncomfortable with the abrupt tension, she quickly turned away, but her eyes were back on him when Troy swiftly called her nickname. 

He wasn't ready for her attention to drift. He was still set on a color he would have guessed she found simple and common. But they were a lovely golden brown to him, matching perfectly to the tone of her rich skin. 

"Was there some... something you wanted to ask me before I gave you my phone?" Eliza stuttered. 

"No," Troy immediately answered. 

Her voice cracked, "Are you sure?"

"I jus' wanted to stop by and see ya. Hadn't seen you all mornin'..." he faded out. 

His accent had no restraints which caused Eliza to sink into her chair. Once she heard it from his mouth, she realized that it was mutual. She didn't see him at all until now– not even an email to reply to. 

"You usually have an email for me," she murmured.

"Yeah, but I figured a visit was more appropriate now. Unless, you disagree," he said with kindness, but his eyes carried a tinge of mischievous green. 

Eliza slightly dipped her head and shook it. 

"You are okay with me stoppin' by?" he asked, seriously.

"Yes," she answered, without thinking twice.

He held her mesmerized look for a few more seconds before casting it away with, "Oh good! Cause if there are gonna be more videos of the Sweet Baby Lulu, then I gotta stop by."