2 || Pills on Edge

Start from the beginning

Those disputes didn't seem so serious to you so you were willing to talk it out with him and make amends. But the day you chose to do so, you found out he had moved schools, not only schools but he had moved to a whole new city, maybe even a country from what you knew. Without telling you, he left.

Without even saying goodbye.

You two used to do everything together. You met him at a low point in middle school. Where you felt that everything was crashing down on you, he was the one that helped you let go and feel the pain slide away.

You both had countless things in common.

Both of you were smart mouths. You were able to make fast retorts, and comebacks naturally. You both didn't find the importance of education. Your grades weren't terrible but they weren't the best either. You averaged at 70% while he averaged at 65%. You both were amazingly skilled fighters. You never took any martial arts classes of any sort, but you both were quite good at it. You'd practice and learn new moves together, and would use your skills only when things got rough. But you both would never be the first ones to start a fight. Never the ones to throw the first punch.

You were both strong minded and didn't let anyone intimidate you.

One thing you two shared, was that you were both lonely. You two were always there to support each other when your families turned their backs on you both. You were each other's lifeline. When you had no one to turn two, you were there for each other.

Or so you thought.

Memories started to surge through your head. You remembered a bright light, faint beeping, people around you yelling inaudible things and heard someone crying your name. Before that you remember hearing screams, a loud crash, you remembered having tears streaming down your face. Then a scene of you running played in your mind. But what were you running from.

That was the million dollar question.

After running you couldn't remember anything after, it all went blank. You snapped out of it. You had tears welling up and they started to trickle down your face. Wiping them away with the back of your palm you grabbed the case of pills and headed to the kitchen.

After filling a glass with water, you open one case of the pills and down a handful. Washing it down with water, you felt a burning sensation down your throat. You know you shouldn't have done that, but it's been a long time since you felt content and free from worry.

The problem was, how bad was your high going to be.

Without thinking about it, you grabbed your phone and keys and headed out the door. You got to the rooftop of your apartment building.

+++

- Your POV -

My head started pounding and my ears were ringing. I don't remember it being this bad before. I walked towards the edge of the roof and sat down, dangling my legs over.

The city spread below me, and the world suddenly felt so wide and free that I wanted to jump. A breathtaking, marvellous, almost frightened dream that made me feel like some fake, unlucky living thing.

I didn't have a purpose. I didn't have anyone depending on me either. The only good thing I have keeping me going is to live to see tomorrow. But who knows how long that's going to continue.

I looked down at the small bottle in my hand. I remembered my room back at my old house in h/t/n. I remember the room having beer cans, broken glass, and pill bottles scattered all over the floor. I recall the room being quite neat, but after having to go through so much, it filled with dreadful items I used everyday. I don't want to go back to that.

I stood up, feeling the cold breeze hit my face. I looked down, contemplating whether or not I should jump. There it was again. The familiar sensation in my head. It was a crushing pain just on one side of my head that came and went in a pattern. Then the sound of ringing that came.

All of a sudden, I started to lose control of my body. I couldn't feel my arms. My legs were giving in and felt like jelly. I anticipated the falling sensation, then the crash of my body hitting the ground.

But it came sooner than I had expected.

+++

- ??? POV -

Finally I got home from a long day at work. It was also my last day at work. Correcting a customer because they wanted their cold brew hot, instead of fresh brewed coffee apparently goes against the "customer is always right" rule. But who knew, because I most certainly did not.

I decided to get some fresh air at the roof top. I needed to get my mind off things, especially since school was starting in the next 2 weeks, and the fact that I needed the money to pay for rent. I could ask my friends for the money, but I already know they probably don't have enough for themselves either.

As I open the door to the rooftop, I notice a girl standing at the edge. I watched as her hand went up to hold her head. I noticed that she started to lean forward, and how her foot started to shift forward.

Before I knew it, I sprinted to her side wrapping my arm around her waist pulling her down.

We both fell down to the ground. She landed on top of me, and her head was on my chest. When I looked down on her, she looked shocked as she looked up and locked eyes with me.

We stayed in that position for a few seconds. I stared into her glistening eyes, though they looked a bit puffy as if she were crying.

That moment was cut short when she pushed herself up from the ground.

When I looked at her she was still swaying side to side, as if she had no control over her body.

"Hey, you alright? You could of slipped and fallen over if I hadn't ever so courageously pulled you down" I teased her with a slight smirk on my face

"Uh, y-yeah I'm fine. Thanks" she mumbled as she turned around to look at me. I had noticed how drowsy and tired she looked. I took a step closer to her.

"Are you sure, because you don't look like you are. You look like you're about to pass out or something." I explained to her as my eyes wandered to, what it seemed to be, a small pill bottle. She must have dropped it when I pulled her down.

Maybe that's why she was so dazed.

"Well in that case, you should be ready to catch me at any moment then" she warned me as her body started tipping to the side.

She had the colour drain from her face as she started going pale. It was as if her heart had suddenly stopped beating and all the blood had stopped running in her body. She swayed for just a moment before I caught her in my arms and lowered her to the ground. I rested her in between my arms looking for any sign of consciousness. I gently slapped her cheek but all I got out of her were small hums in return.

It then hit me.

I had no idea about who this girl was.

I didn't know what her name was, what her apartment number was, or if she even lived in this building. For all know she could of just been hanging around up here.

After giving it some thought, I decided to carry her back to my place. I lived alone so it was no problem for me. Let's just hope that my friends don't drop by while she's there. I don't want them thinking anything.

But then my brain registered the bigger problem.

How was I going to explain to her, why she was in my apartment.

+++

Hey everyone! Hope you're enjoying the story so far! Feel free to leave any plot ideas or scenes you'd like to see, I'll try to add them into the storyline!

Also I'll try to post at least once every week, but we'll see how long that'll hold up!

Hope you enjoyed this chapter! How do you think you'll meet all the other characters?