College

KIM TAEHYUNG'S mom viciously wiped her eyes with her sleeve for what felt like the millionth time.

She blubbered and began sobbing. "Where has the time gone?"

Taehyung's heart clenched and his cheeks burned at the sight of his mother. He sat his half-packed cardboard box down, and walked over to her. He wrapped his arms around her and she hysterically threw her arms around his neck and cried.

"Mom..." He sighed, "I promise I'll visit as much as possible. I'll be home before you know it."

She had finally stopped crying, and sniffed as she looked up at her son, eyes not stopping at his own like everyone else did. She was used to it.

"You b-better," she warned, face softening as she looked at her only child. "Aigoo, so handsome! I did a good job on you." She teased smiling as she wiped her last tears.

"Mom, you're such a narcissist, jeez..."

The entirety of the car-ride there was filled laughing and the sound of the upbeat pop music and screaming sing-alongs to songs on the radio.

They both made their way to Taehyung's apartment. On-site housing was very expensive, so he decided to rent an apartment, using the college savings for housing instead of schooling because he'd gotten a scholarship.

The only noises to be heard from either of them now, was the rustling of the box Taehyung had rested on his hip and the rolling suitcases his mother was pulling.

They stopped in front of his door, and His mother began her hysterics again. Taehyung's face blazed as he begged her to stop before she drew attention from other residents.

Eventually she calmed herself and helped Taehyung settle into his new dorm, and she was gone by 7:36 that evening.

And Taehyung was all alone.

He looked around at his new home.

The bed was pushed into the corner and fluffy blankets and a stuffed bunny were layered on top of it.

His eyes then moved to the fairy lights strung along the wall and bed-posts. The last thing Taehyung had added to his dorm was a wind-chime which he placed on the end of the curtain-rod.

The wind-chime was extremely important to him. Although it seemed weird and obscure to others, he loved it.

It was a a homemade, ceramic tea kettle, with little cups and spoons strung to the bottom of the pot.

His grandma had gifted it to him a few years ago, before her hands became to shaky to shape clay anymore.

He sighed as he fell back onto his new bed. After a moment or two he turn on his side. He looks towards his window and his eye catches on a small wad of blue.

He reaches over and grabs the small, tattered, stuffed rabbit on nightstand. He runs a finger over it's button-eye, which causes the thread to break, leaving his bunny's eye dangling. He brings it to his chest and tucks it under his chin.

For the what was not first time in his life, he felt lonely.

He could call his mom of course, but she was probably busy with her drive back to Daegu. His friends were just starting university, too. He didn't want to be a bother.

He hugged his stupid, ratty bunny tighter.

Over the next week Taehyung grew more and more lonely.

He had not spoken with anyone at all. He was excited to attend his first college classes. Excited to see someone. However, he was not so excited for people to see him.

He knew they would notice his face the second they saw him. Taehyung felt the familiar embarrassment pass him over, not prepared for all of the changes that would come with his new classes.

New people, new teachers, new lessons, new everything.

He hides in the bathroom for about half an hour, working up the courage to face the day. Not even the vape he'd bought from the gas station that morning could give him the ability to fake having a self-esteem.

He made his way down the corridor with his backpack over his shoulders. He was looking down shyly, afraid to meet anyone's eyes.

As he sat down for his first lecture he realized that he was a little early. He pulled out his phone to pass the time and texted his mother.

Taehyung:
hey mom

mummy:
hi baby! I'm sorry I can't talk right now the shop's really busy. :( I love you.

Taehyung:
love you too.

Exasperated, he put his phone away and settled on reading a chapter from his book. He sat quietly reading and completely immersed himself in the story.

In the absence of his awareness, someone tapped the top of the page.

He looked up slowly to see a handsome man of short stature- blonde hair swept away from his face, styled to perfection.

"Hi, I'm Jimin," He announced cheerily. "Can I sit here?" Jimin pointed to the chair next to Taehyung.

Taehyung's voice seemed to leave him as he stared awkwardly at this boy. After an uncomfortable amount of time Taehyung finally just shook his head yes.

"What's your name?" Jimin asked taking his new seat.

"Tae-" he cleared his throat, "Taehyung."

"Your hair's cool. You dye it like that?"

Taehyung looks over at him unconsciously, accidentally meeting his eyes before shaking his head.

"Wow, your eyes too. They're both real?"

"Yeah," Taehyung says, blushing at the attention.

"That's so cool!" Jimin cooed softly.

Taehyung tilted his head, titling his head back to shake the hair out of his face, exposing the birthmark. "Really? you think so?"

"Uh, of course!" He said obviously. "It's so unique. I don't know anyone with two different-colored eyes," Jimin gushed, all but laying on his desk. "You have to meet my friends before you get too popular, okay?"

Taehyung barked out a laugh, eyes crinkling. "Deal," he giggled, "I'm never gonna be too popular for you, promise."

"You better not."

Taehyung was ecstatic he's talking to someone who is not only really nice, but also planning to introduce him to his friends.

"Your hair is cute too. You like kinda like an e-girl." Taehyung groaned, elbowing him playfully.