Part 19//Nickname?

I sit in the tower alone while Jesse helps the others in the tunnel put away all the gear. Tears just waiting to silently fall down my face. I felt as if i was too slow to get to the young boy. My head was fighting its own battle with itself i didn't even hear Hoppo walk in to the tower. 

"Nova, You did your best and it paid off didn't it?" Hoppo's voice quieting the load fight between her own head. "I guess but he still was dead for a bit..." My voice trailing off near the end. a single tear rolled down the side of my face. i close my eyes trying to stop the flow of all the other tears. I felt Hoppo bring me in for a hug. i accepted his offer crying into his shoulder. 

The rest of the guys came up 10 minutes later. "hey nova have you got a nickname yet?" Whippet addressed to the whole tower. confused faces followed the statement. "uhh no i haven't whys that?" it's true i had been in the service for 3 or 4 years and still yet to get a nickname. "we gotta get you a nickname, Nova is getting a bit old. no offence" 

My heart was racing, why do they want me to now have a nickname. "yeah Nova whats some things we should know about you for your nickname?" Maxi jumped into the convo. "uh i don't know. i used to be a firefighter. um i love finding Nemo. My full name is Nova Quinn Russell. My favourite animals are sharks and elephants, and you guys should probably know a lot more about me than i do".

 I look around, everyones faces working hard in their brains to think of a nickname. "What about Sharky, Jet or Blue?" everyone turned to me. "I don't get to choose, you guys pick". they all started looking at each other. Basically reading each others minds. then following the silence. peoples voices stating their option were expressed. "i like Blue" "I love the name Blue" "It should be Blue" Hoppo's voice quieting them all down. "well Nova, your no longer Nova. Welcome to the team Blue" Everyone started cheering, Smiles big on their faces.

Later as we were all leaving everyones phones go off. Maxi on the big group chat had decided to address my new name to everyone. I really had no plans to do anything when i got home. I still had homework that needed to be done but that could wait for another time. I decided just to go to bed. Jumping into the cold bed was refreshing at the least. it was a place that i felt safe. 

The next morning i woke up while it was still dark. something that by now was normal for me. i checked my phone to see i had a lot of new messages. i started going through them.

Jesse: hey Blue, you okay from yesterday?

Maxi: BLUEBOTTLE, how are you after yesterday?

Gonzo: Hey Blue, just checking in to see how you are after yesterday, just call me if you need anything. i'm always here

Whippet: hi Blue, if you need anything just call i'm always here

Harrison: Heard what happened yesterday. I'll drop by yours tonight, we can have a movie night if you wanna. 

after replying to all the messages i decide to go for a run before work. i throw my lifeguard clothes into my bag and throw on some workout gear that was laying around my room. While i ran i thought about getting a dog. my house right now was very quite and lonely. i needed someone or some doggo to be in there. I reach the beach to see gonzo already in the tower. I walk in to see him just sitting there doing paperwork. not fun stuff to do. I jump onto his back scarring him. "Blue, really you scared me" he screams pushing me off his back. today was gonna be fun.