"Our parents are good friends," I said hurriedly, "We live close by."

I recognised a shimmer of hurt in his eyes.

"I mean all of us are..."

"Right," Kabir said, nodding to himself, "Parents are friends, so we just have to tolerate each other once in a while, right Shyla?"

"I know how that feels," Nishika said, immune to the tension in the air, "I've put up with some pretty irritating toddlers who rummage through my stuff just because we are neighbours."

" Kabir!" I called out but he'd already disappeared into the crowd.

Sanya threw me an accusing stare and Kayal's hawk eyes seemed to have recognised something but she chose not to comment.

I sighed and methodically sprinkled some water onto the next guest who was looking at me quizzically.

I almost dropped the little sprinkler recognizing the buff built and the familiar spaghetti-like hair. My sister's ex-boyfriend was poised calmly before us, his burly figure shielding any possible ray of light. My heart skipped several beats.

"I've seen you somewhere." He breathed and I realised that he reeked a little of alcohol. Though I was slightly relieved that he didn't recognize me, I couldn't say the same of Siya.
Was he going to stop the marriage dramatically like in those old Tollywood films?

"Er, no I don't think--"

"Whaadever," He muttered and scanned the hall.

"Are you looking for someone?" I quaked.

"Anusha. She told me to meet her here. You know her?"

My jaw almost dropped. "You're  Aslam?"

Was there some kind of supply crisis for the male species that I wasn't aware of? How could both friends pick the same douche?

His brows furrowed. "How do you know that?"

I recovered quickly and swept my gaze quickly on the stage focusing on a lone pleased-as-punch Harish Chaturvedi. I looked back on the man before me with a polite smile:"Because she was searching for you! She's in charge of serving tiffin for the guests so..."

Just to keep the rogue as far away from Siya as possible.

"And where on earth is that?"

"Oh, that's downstairs!" I replied readily as rehearsed in my head. "Would you want me to show you out there?"

He made a dismissive gesture with his hands. "I can go by myself, I'm not some illish--illic--illeeterate bastard, okay?"

"Of course sir."

I watched him drag his feet outside and I turned to the trio who were fussing with the flowers.

"Girls, can you please take charge until I lead this gentleman to his destination?"

Without waiting for a reply, I dashed to the back staircase and followed him down, almost tripping against my skirt once, and then again.

I watched him enter the dining and saunter slowly inside.
His drunkenness didn't mean that he was not in his senses. His sharp eyes were trying their best to focus on each and everything we were passing by.

He muttered something to himself and opened and closed doors.
He tripped on the mat into the pantry and I heard him mutter a few curses.

Before he could react, I instinctively swung the door shut and latched it firmly.