Another bizarre so-called tradition that I could recollect from my endless string of marriage visitations as a child was carrying the bride in a huge wicker basket into the wedding canopy which they recently snipped off from the rituals recently because it objectified women by just delivering her like a courier parcel good to the boy. And I'm glad they did.

Fisting my long skirt, I attempted to take two steps before I bumped into someone. This was irritating now.

I glanced up, pushing my hair off my forehead. David glanced at me and let out a low whistle.

"You clean up pretty well, missy."

"Thanks.I wish I could say the same of you," I bit back and he chuckled. I wouldn't have been surprised if he turned up in his weird neon Chicago Bulls jersey. I was slightly impressed that he had combed his hairs back and was sporting a bluish blazer, "I like your outfit though."

He shrugged, "Thanks, it was lying around in my closet for a long time and my mom forced me into it."

That's when I noticed my friends standing near the entrance, waving at me with a cheeky grin.

I excused myself from David before navigating to my friends with my uncooperative lehenga skirt.
"Guys, I'm so glad you came! I would have been bored to death!" I told and Sanya grabbed a welcome drink from the table.

"No problem. By the way, I saw him!" She said with a sparkle in her eyes. I gazed into the direction of her glance where I could see a silhouette with a camera in hand, clicking away at Saloni.

"Saw whom?" Kayal asked confused.

"No one. I mean, Harish. My brother in law," I said and gave a nudge into Sanya's side.

"Oof! Got it!" She held up a thumbs-up signal and massaged her ribs.

I looked back hesitantly at the entrance where I was supposed to stand and sprinkle rose water on every unassuming passerby.

Obviously my friends were obliged to sit with me and comment on every guest passing by our noses.

"One young guy at last. I was starting to think that your relatives comprised mostly of potbellied uncles, "Kayal mumbled under her breath and I glanced at the person who was sauntering lazily from the drinks table.
I felt a little pinch in my chest, just watching him walk towards me. (I think I might need some Gelusil.)

"Hi," I spoke a little breathlessly. I've never seen Kabir wear anything ethnic. What can I say, just like me, he followed the  Comfort-is-style mantra but for the first time he looked straight out of those Royal Amar Chitra Katha comics.
He gave me a slow once over, looking as if he was legit surprised that I could play dress-up once in a while.
We both had nothing to say for a split moment, simply gazing at each other.

"Hmmm..." He mused, pretending to inspect my clothes and then offered me his boyish smile. He was hard to miss, looking strikingly charming in a brown kurta pyjama that somehow matched his mocha eyes.
He leaned over to pick up the candy from the plate but I heard him.
"Now I can't even tell you what I  think because it won't be an appropriate comment for a friend...Oh, well..."

He leaned back and popped a candy into his mouth. "These lovely girls are...?"

"We're friends from school," Nishika said. "I didn't know Shyla had a cousin our age. Where do you live?"

Kabir looked at me expectantly and raised an eyebrow.

"No, he's her boyf--" Sanya began and I stamped her foot, not too hard but enough to shut her mouth.

One Cuppa ChaiOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara