Leap of Faith

Kova

After the talk with Ten, I moved back to the training room to...well, train. I moved my crates next to a pull-up bar, ignoring Josephine's harrowing glare. Giving myself a running start, I spring onto the boxes and jump as high into the air as I can, latching my hands on the bar and pulling myself up. I drop down, walk to where I started, and repeat. Meanwhile, I think of what Ten had to offer. Or rather, what I agreed to.

Let's keep close, Ten insisted. You can keep spying on me for the king, but in exchange, spy on him for me.

I don't think you understand, I insisted right back. I'm doing this because if I don't, then I die.

"Hey, nobody," a high-pitched voice squawks behind me. Turning around, I hone in on Josephine walking my way, tying her hair into a tight bun, which stretches her face. "Why was Ten looking for you?"

Grunting, I suppress a snarky response as to not upset someone to early in the games. It would be pitiful if my downfall was from a single comment I said to someone who is easily offended. "He just wanted to check up on my wounds," I lie. Echoes of our conversation continue to loosely rattle in my brain. The king can't touch you from his throne, Ten promised.

But he can request for my death, I persisted.

"It seemed pretty urgent and private for a quick check-up," Josephine presses, walking right up to me until our noses nearly touch. I wonder if she expects me to back down. Up close, her eyes remind me of a snake's – her pupils are more constricted than usual, and her irises are so light that they seem unholy. "Are you sure there's nothing else going on between you two?"

Not if it would cause too much of an upset in the crowd. Let's make a deal, Ten proposed, that cunning glint shining brightly in his silver-blue eyes.

Forcing my eyes not to roll to the back of my head, I slowly reply. "I'm sure. There's nothing going on between us, so if you want to flirt with him then go ahead. Don't mind me," I provoke. Turning back around, I get ready to complete another round of double jumping when a surprisingly strong hand clamps down on my shoulder. Now I'm getting mad.

You can still be a double agent and decide who you want to be a spy for later on. My true grudge is against the king, and if you can help me get to him, then I can help you stay alive, Ten dished out, laying all his cards on the table.

I'm listening, I approved.

I knew you would.

Ripping my shoulder from Josephine's grasp, I growl, "What is it you want me to say?"

"The truth," she snaps. Though she's covered in sweat and her skin is flushed red from work, her touch is chillingly cool. Perhaps she actually is a reptile. "What are you and Ten planning?"

"A double suicide," I egg on. "Truly fascinating. Very poetic stuff."

I'll personally train you – teach you things no teacher or observer can – things learned from three series of experience. In turn, keep me popular with the fans. Make sure we're a package deal and deliver a performance, that way, I can get close to the king during one of his reward feasts. Ten's plan wasn't half bad. All I have to do is figure out how to work a crowd and learn to fight from Ten. If I think about it, this deal isn't really a loss for me at any angle.

Still, I had to ask. And if I refuse?

"I'm also kind of curious," a smooth voice sides. Turning my head, I see Ajax fiddling with my crates and looking at my setup. "What does the great Ten have to do with a great nobody like you?" Ajax sharks his way next to Josephine, the two looking like muscled Vogue models. They appear comfortable next to each other, as if they're a pair. Did they also form an alliance?