4.

It was the weekend, unfortunately enough for me. I hated the weekends, there was always nothing to do. Nobody to go outside and play with. I always prayed that one day the doorbell would ring and it would be someone behind that screen door waiting to see me. It never happened, no matter how hard I seemed to pray.
After my small breakfast of grits and leftover bacon, I sat on the couch, that was now free to actually sit on, and watched my cousin get dressed.
"Where you goin'?" I asked.
"Out with Rich." He replies not even turning around to face me.
Richard, or "Rich" as he wanted to be called, was Beatrice's long term boyfriend. I always wondered why he never lived here, when we first got here he was here, after awhile he seemed to only come around on the weekends. I thought it was strange, though I knew better than to ask. Nonetheless, he was nice to me. When he came to get my cousin he took me too sometimes, until he was told he couldn't anymore for reasons to this day are still unknown.
"Can I come to?" I asked quietly.
"No you cannot go. You can stay yo' ass right here though beside me where I can see you." Beatrice chimed in, startling me.
"Look at you! Jumpin', obviously talkin' 'bout some shit you ain't got no business talkin' 'bout." She said as she walked past and slammed the front door shut.
All I could do was sit down, my anxiety always got the best of me whenever she got too close. She had no problem hitting me and most of the time her strikes came without warning.
"Now, Nate, enough of the chit chat. You, unlike your cousin have a fun day ahead of you. Get ready please, Richard will be here in 20." She said as she walked back in to her room.
I looked at him to see if he had any pity on his face for me. Nothing. Not a flip of the lips, not a shrug of the eyebrows, not a damn thing. I felt my heart sink as I read his emotions so easily stretched across his face. He could careless how I was being treated, he was truly soaking up the limelight. I thought we were in this together. I slowly got up and excused myself to the bathroom, I didn't want him to see the river of tears threatening to erupt down my hot felt face.
Once I closed the door and locked it behind me, I cried so hard my chest started to heave.
How could he not feel bad? How could he possibly think this type of treatment was okay? She's not even real family, i am. Daddy where are you? Why did you leave me here?
A hard knock on the door interrupted my thoughts. I wiped my face quickly as I opened the door slowly as it yanked open.
"Get the fuck out the bathroom! This boy has to pee!" She said pointing towards the living room.
I just sank my head down and did as I was told.
As I took my seat, I heard the doorbell ring.
"ISAIAH GET THE DOOR!" The rambunctious witch herself yelled from her bedroom.
I opened the door and let Rich inside.
"What's goin' on Isaiah?" He asked as he dapped my hand.
I smiled at his gesture, he was always nice to me. Felt refreshing.
"Nothing much. Hanging out."
"That's good, Nate here?"
"Yeah, he's-"
"Right here, what's up Rich?" Nate said, interrupting.
"Chillin', you ready to go?"
"Yes!!! Beat you to the car!" My cousin said as he ran out the door and down the steps into the car parked outside, not even a "see ya later" in sight.
Rich turned to me and lowly said, "I'm sorry Isaiah. I wish I could take you with me."
His eyes were filled with sadness as the words escaped his lips, I could tell he meant every word.
"STOP FILLING THE BOY HEAD UP WITH LIES. His ass ain't goin' no where!" She said out loud. She must have heard what he said.
I mouthed "it's okay." As he walked out the door and shut the door behind him.
Who the hell am I kidding? Nothing about this was "okay."