"Really? So he broke up with me for you and you're not even together? Men are fucking ridiculous."

"I-" the words didn't come. What could I say?

She held up her hand and scoffed. "I don't need an apology if that's what you're going to give me. I'm not interested and I'm not totally sure you even owe me one." She went to leave again but turned around once more. "God, I've been wanting to yell at you for two weeks and now that I have you in front of me, I don't even know what to yell at you."

I winced.

"Everything was fine before you moved here and fucked it all up." She was heating up, even more, the alcohol giving her courage. I barely moved. "My sister warned me about Tucker and I should've listened. I should've fucking listened. She doesn't even live at home, she's barely met him but she was right, he's terrible and a liar and he always has been he's a-"

My skin crawled with the mention of Alice Galloway, and my eyes flicked to Rose's face.

"No," I interrupted, unsure of what she was going to say next. "he's not. You don't really think that."

"You just say whatever you think, don't you?"

I thought of the memories I'd seen of the two of them. It was an intrusion into their privacy, and I guess my response to that was my own blatant honesty.

I shrugged. "As long as I know it's the truth."

When her eyes met mine, I knew I was right. There was no longer anger in her eyes, just a mixture of sadness and hurt glazed over with alcohol. I knew she wasn't a hunter; she was just a girl who wanted to hate a boy she was in love with- and, because of me, he didn't love her back anymore. Or, maybe he did. Truthfully, I didn't know.

She looked at me seriously and I wondered what bombshell she was going to drop next.

"I'm going to puke."

I was not prepared for that.

***

The air was biting outside the club. It was truly well into fall now and I longed for the sweat of summer. Rose sat in a somewhat dejected position with her perfectly blonde head in between her knees, a bucket in front of her. I leaned against the doorway, periodically giving her sips of water.

Tilly had given me the strangest look as I mouthed my apology to her and took the drunk girl to the bathroom (the very one I'd just cleaned) and held her hair back from her face as she puked up at least forty-five dollars worth of drinks. Eventually, I led her to the side of the club for some fresh air.

Her condition was largely my fault and thus, I felt responsible for her. However, it put me in a slightly awkward position when I had to make an uncomfortable phone call.

"Hi... I have a strange request," I began the call.

And we waited. Me and the girl whose boyfriend had chosen me. Whose boyfriend hadn't really had a choice at all, had he? The ley lines had pointed him toward me and neither of us got any say in the matter.

Rose laughed a little from her spot on the pavement. She didn't even shiver as the night wind blew across her bare shoulders, her crop top did little to shield her from the elements. I, however, pulled my zip-up hoodie as tight around me as possible.

"Hey, Sunshine."

Both Rose and I looked up at the familiar voice. Tucker took in the scene before him with surprisingly more grace than I could have imagined. I hadn't exactly explained the situation to him very well on the phone- and by that; I meant that I failed to mention that Rose was the one who needed help.