You Like Me Too Much (part 7)

Part 8 will be in harrisonkrishna2 's book, as always ❤️

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The room fell silent, and I could feel the tension rise between us. I nudge her away timidly and take a step back, bumping against the wall.

"Sophie, you know I can't do that." I respond with a nervous chuckle, tugging at my shirt collar.

"Why not?" She raises her voice while wiping her fringe out of her face.

"You know why!"

"No, actually I don't! Enlighten me!"

"Well for starters I'll lose my goddamn job! Then Cynthia will take the kids away and I'll never see them again! Is that what you want?"

"Of course I don't want that, but John- you can't ask me to be exclusive with you when you won't be exclusive with me! It's not fair!"

"Where the hell is this coming from? I thought you liked our arrangement? A few good shags here and there and some deep conversations in between? What more could you want?"

"I want you to choose me. I'm tired of being your little side piece! I'm tired of falling asleep in your arms only to be woken up five minutes later by you leaving me to go back to Cynthia!"

I roll my eyes and turn away, resting my forehead against the wall.

"It's because of George, isn't it?" I sigh, swirling back around to look her in the eyes.

"No, it's not." She mutters. "It's because you said you loved me... if that's true, I want you to prove it. Leave Cynthia behind and be with me."

"Sophie just because I love you doesn't mean I stopped loving Cynthia! It doesn't mean I'm going to tear my whole life apart to start a brand new one with you!" I throw my arms up.

"For sucks sake, did you not hear anything I just said?"

Sophie's eyes darken, and tears begin to bleed from them. She grasps onto her hair as if she's about to yank it out, then reaches for her water glass on the table. Instead of taking a drink, she chucks it clear across the room- causing it to shatter loudly against the wall.

"Sophie! What the fuck?" I ask through gritted teeth, staring at the shards of glass that now littered the floor. "You need to calm down!"

"Calm down? How can I calm down? You told me you loved me and now you're telling me we can't be together?" She shouts, scanning the room for more objects to throw. Before she picks up a shoe I grab her wrist, stopping her from wreaking more havoc. She tries to fight me for a moment, but ultimately I overpower her and manage to hold her in my arms.

Both of us fall to the floor, Sophie now becoming a weeping mess. I hold onto her tightly and let her sob against my shirt while I stare at the ceiling fan above us.

"Sophie I never said I couldn't be with you. All I said was I can't leave my family for you. We can still have our time together..."

"If you truly loved me, you would leave them, John. You would leave your family and never look back..."

I close my eyes and sigh.

I'm furious at her for lashing out and being unreasonable, though can I really blame her? This poor girl has nobody. She only has me, and she's latched on like a leech. I've only perpetuated that by giving into my selfish desires and taking advantage of her feelings.

 I've only perpetuated that by giving into my selfish desires and taking advantage of her feelings